• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Chains

If you get tire chains see if you can find some some with ice cleats welded to thr cross chains they ride really rough on the highway but they get you where you want to go.We used to get a lot of phone calls for tire chains at Napa they were kinda pricey from what I remember

Be sure to get some chain tightener's if you do get chains.

If you get tire chains see if you can find some some with ice cleats welded to thr cross chains they ride really rough on the highway but they get you where you want to go.We used to get a lot of phone calls for tire chains at Napa they were kinda pricey from what I remember
I guess they're called v-bar chains. Looks like around $250 to $300. I think that actually answers it. Thanks man.

Be sure to get some chain tightener's if you do get chains.
Okay

The ice cleats are cool and pretty aggressive but not totally necessary. I usually just chain up the front but have done all 4 when hunting before. They would be pretty miserable on anything hard pack. But they'll get you through some stuff for sure. Keep the spped down and don't spin the crap out of them. Easy wheel spin and let the chains do the work for you.

If you're on 12.50's find some used semi chains a d cut them down. If they are dry and crusty that's fine. Better price for you and easy fix to soak in a lubricant to bring them back to life. The vbar chains get tossed regularly by companies once the vbars are less aggressive. Perfect for a pickup at that point. Used to be able to get sets of 4 for under $150

If you're on 12.50's find some used semi chains a d cut them down. If they are dry and crusty that's fine. Better price for you and easy fix to soak in a lubricant to bring them back to life. The vbar chains get tossed regularly by companies once the vbars are less aggressive. Perfect for a pickup at that point. Used to be able to get sets of 4 for under $150

Damn! Good shit, thank you. Wouldn’t have thought of it

I've used cables, chains, an v-bar chains.

The cables are a step up from nothing are a serious improvement over nothing, and the easiest to install.

Regular chain is the next up, but if stored in a pile can be a real PITA to untangle.
Definite improvement over cables.

I didn't see the cost/ performance with the V-Bar.

I don't recommend any of these on the road over 30mph. The forces on the chain face tend to make them act like drag slicks (The faster you go, the larger they get) at speed.

200X on the chain tighteners. The Chains do have a tightener system built in, but the chain tighteners are basically bungie cords that pull the outer chain face tight.

Here in Colorado, Peerless Tyre normally has snow chain sales this time of the year. I normally spent less than $100 per axle for 35's.

I've used cables, chains, an v-bar chains.

The cables are a step up from nothing are a serious improvement over nothing, and the easiest to install.

Regular chain is the next up, but if stored in a pile can be a real PITA to untangle.
Definite improvement over cables.

I didn't see the cost/ performance with the V-Bar.

I don't recommend any of these on the road over 30mph. The forces on the chain face tend to make them act like drag slicks (The faster you go, the larger they get) at speed.

200X on the chain tighteners. The Chains do have a tightener system built in, but the chain tighteners are basically bungie cords that pull the outer chain face tight.
Only in a dire emergency would I run chains without tensioners.

Back