• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack-n-tap out put yoke length

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
I have all the materials that go jeep used to complete this mission. All accept the driveshaft, he had one custom made and i'm using the front out of a zj. I don't want the slip yoke shaft to extend to far when botlted up to everything and sitting flat. My question; what is the longest the t-case output yoke can safely be before vibes arrive? I don't understand why everybody is cutting soo much shaft and yoke off, that must create the slip yoke driveshaft to be separated an uncomfortable amount at ride height. It seems under extreem travel apps. the driveshaft with separate.

I have about 5.5" of lift so this may be the reason mine is separated more than others.

Mike1331 said:
My question; what is the longest the t-case output yoke can safely be before vibes arrive? I don't understand why everybody is cutting soo much shaft and yoke off,
The more unsupported length on the yoke, the more likely it is to vibrate. There's no magic number (e.g. 0.060" is safe, but 0.065" will vibrate) with this application.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

the unsupported length thing is correct. when you have a shaft rotating, supported at only one end, it is said to be cantilevered and undergoes cyclic stress, and there's more stress the farther out it is. keeping it shorter really minimizes it, and ideally we want it to be able to take an infinite # of cycles, in this case, in engineering, infinity equates to about 10^6 cycles... so here's your general logrithmic stress vs cycles graph. on this graph "stress" means stress at failure... so say for example you don't need the thing you're using to last that long, it will be able to handle more stress for fewer cylces. i don't know or claim to know #'s that describe the stress on a t-case shaft at different lengths, and i would imagine that the torsional stress far outweighs the cantilevered, but better safe than sorry. cut you shaft short, and get a longer DS.

8.jpg

Last edited:
Back