• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging Interest: Rear Custom-fit Sub Box

Gauging Interest: Rear cargo sub box.

• Yes! very interested- order the supplies!

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Yes, but will have to wait to see what the first version looks like.

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • My subs come with lettuce, mayo, and tomatoe

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Since I have recieved many many PM's about building these- I will open it up to the forum.

I know this thread needs some pics-BUT- I'm not going to build one untill I get some feedback to see what you all want in a box.- then I'll build one, post it, and we'll go from there. Most want a out-of-the-way box so they can throw their spare in, tools, dogs, etc without damaging it. Also, most dont want a huge soundsytem in the back- most just want a little bass.

I do need some feedback on what features you would like to see, how you would want it to fit in along with the stock panel etc. I will build each one to your standards, but do not want to go way-off base so I can keep the price low.

The box can very a little bit: I could make it have a removable grill to completly conceal the sub to having the sub stick out and be noticed.

I DO need some honest feedback as to wether you would be interested. If I have enough interest, and depending on features/ finish desired, prices would start in the ballpark of $175

I like the idea, but wish I could be up there to help you build the stuff. As for my box, I've already got that taken care of. I wasn't concerned about space, and protection? I'm going to steel plate the outside of the box.

I have no idea what you are talking about, or where it would go.

Is this like my 10" subwoofer box thats hidden in the cubbyhole?
Its fiberglass and bolts into the inner body lip.

Pics would be nice

Right. It would take up the space in the cubby hole and extend to be flush with the rear tire well. Much like the JL Stealth box that is no longer made.

Ok, and would this be made of what? MDF I am guessing? Then carpeted to match factory colors? If I am right then I think your price is a little high, I would not spend that much on a box to hold my sub that didnt even cost as much as that.

A space saving design would be nice though. I currently have 2 10" 600 watt Pioneers in a box that used to be in my 96, but now in my 98 I have no room since I have a 31" spare laying down in the back.

Go ahead and build one, and get a pic up. I would love to see.

I'd be interested in this, but not for subwoofers - I'd like something that could use that cubbyhole as storage. Would a hinged lid for it be out of the question? I'm thinking that something like this would be a good way to mount remote electronics (CB, ham rig, etc.) without having to play the where-the-hell-do-I-put-it game.

nitrogt101 said:
Ok, and would this be made of what? MDF I am guessing? Then carpeted to match factory colors?

Fiberglass/ MDF

Obviously I would not charge that much for a plain MDF box that you can get for $40. It would be mostly fiberglass. This will fit perfectly inside the cubby hole in the rear, come out flush with the rear tire well, and be finished in anything from factory match vinyl, herculiner, factory paint- you name it.

Go to your local audio store and see if they would not quote you 250+ for the same thing built from scratch.

The design I'm talking about is simular to the JL stealth box that was once made for the XJ:
xj_bass_box_jl_audio.jpg

$175 is a steal. Supplies alone are in the range of $50-$80 I just bought everything I need with the exception of carpet and adhesive. I have a diagram of what I am going to attempt this weekend and will post a link to pics of guys that have done this before.

The face piece, the top and the front piece against the back seat of mine will be all MDF, and the remaining back (molded in the cubbyhole), bottom and rear will be fiberglass. The work/labor, which will take me probably most of Saturday, Would easily be woth $100 to have someone fabricate it for ya.

Actually here are some links:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/680128/2
looks OK, but looks like he just had a frame and glassed all around it and covered it in vinyl.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/182031/7
this guy slapped a bit of everything together to house his sub. Looks great but wonder how it sounds???

If I hadn't been planning for weeks to make this enclosure, I would certainly have paid $175 or so for one that's made well. I will post pics of my finished enclosure next week if all goes well...

Last edited:
Here's an idea: do two versions. One for people who want a sub, one for people who would like a useful locking storage area (metal, if at all possible). I could personally care less about subs, but would really like to have somewhere I could keep a gun, some ammo, and permanently screw in stuff like an inverter, CB, and ham rig.

I understand now why the price is what it is. It is worth the material and the time it would take to make, sorry if I sounded like I was accusing you of something. This is definitly something I would get if I had the money. However, being 17 and having a 98 xj sport 4x4 on 31" BFG AT's w/ JET chip, Gibson exhaust, K&N.... and having paid for ALL of it myself(after many working summers, and a loan that is almost paid off), I think I'll just incorporate my 2 10" subs & box into a full cargo box that my spare can sit on top of.

Thanks for the info on materials!

dothedew24_7 said:
Fiberglass/ MDF

Go to your local audio store and see if they would not quote you 250+ for the same thing built from scratch.
Ya I went to tweeter for something like that and they wanted to charge me 900+....bullish

I would like to have one that would fit one kicker s12d (12" sub). We talked about this before back in December before I went to Lake Tahoe. Would this version be available in the 12" too?

Drake00XJ said:
I would like to have one that would fit one kicker s12d (12" sub). We talked about this before back in December before I went to Lake Tahoe. Would this version be available in the 12" too?

It could be made to fit anything up to 12"- possibly 2 10's... 15" would really be pushing it with the volume requirements of most of them. I have the rings for all the round subs and the L5 and L7 Kicker subs (square ones).

BoXJer said:
Actually here are some links:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/680128/2
looks OK, but looks like he just had a frame and glassed all around it and covered it in vinyl.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/182031/7
this guy slapped a bit of everything together to house his sub. Looks great but wonder how it sounds???

The first link is mine, but unfortunately you are WAY off as to how it was made. It might look like its wrapped in vinyl due to my camera and the shadows, but it is a soild enclosure(.88 cubic feet), not a scrap material job like most I've seen. 1/2" MDF was used for the sub ring, top, bottom, back and rear side and layered fiberglass mat for the front and side near the fenderwell. That enclosure was then glassed to the frame of the side pannel. The fiberglass was then shot with SEM Texture coating to replicate the factory finish of the interior plastic pannels and finished with Mopar interior Agate spray which matches the stock pannel color pretty well.

Basically all that remains of the original plactic pannel was the top from the seatbelt and down to the side closest to the tail gate, a reversed "L" shape. The cubby, along with the rest of the center section of the pannel was cut out. My enclosure does not utilize the factory pannel as the back of the enclosure.

Last edited:
Slammed_am said:
The first link is mine, but unfortunately you are WAY off as to how it was made. It might look like its wrapped in vinyl due to my camera and the shadows, but it is a soild enclosure(.88 cubic feet), not a scrap material job like most I've seen.

That's cool, wasn't trying to knock it. :) Just noticed that it was kinda bumpy around the sub where the framework or whatever is.
680128_14_full.jpg

Looks pretty slick other than that. How does it sound??? Do you get any rattles from the fenderwell area? Now that I've got a better idea of what the surface really is like, I may consider doing something similar. I've got identical interior to yours, what exactly is SEM Texture and is it easy to apply??? I was planning on getting carpet to match, but if this is somewhat simple I could go for the look.

Its all good. Just wanted to clear things up a little.

In that pic,towards the back (closer to the tailgate) appears bumpy, not sure exactly why, because in reality it's flat leading towards the screws. The back edge of the actual enclosure is probably where your talking about. in order to get the depth I needed, thats how far I had to come out. I couldn't really see if that edge was going to be as harsh as it appears in that pic prior to paint, but with maintaining the propper airspace and being able to blend it with the rest of the panel it would have become pretty flimsy in that area if I did shave it down.

SEM makes all kinds of paints. Their texture finish is a spray and according to how many coats you give it depends on how ruff or how smooth the "grain" will be. Once that is dried, you can apply paint. I didn't have any trouble with it, went on pretty easy actually.

I have hardly any rattles from the fender well area, the taillight rattles a bit though. Before I had everything back together, I undercoated the inside of the fender area (up to the seatbelt mechanisim) and then put a layer of Tsunami Silencer (dynamat) over it. With the Alpine Type S sub in it, it sounds MUCH better then the Audiobahn which needed a little more air space.

Slammed, how did you measure your volume? I've been told to fill it with packing peanuts (and measure the amount in a shoebox or something) - .88 sounds like a pretty precise measurement. Just curious, cuz I'm shooting for .65 and would prefer to make it a bit too small rather than too large, cuz I can just put in a bit of Polyfill, which according to some audiophile physicists out there will "increase volume"... Several sources, can't remember them of the toppa my head...

http://www.bcae1.com/

has a bunch of different formulas and ideas that can be very helpful when desigining enclosures as well as alot of other very good 12v electronics info.

Polyfill does actually work, not exactly sure how, but it does. I know theres some science behind it, but if a box is too small, adding some polyfill does help...an educated ear can easily hear the difference, but definately you want the enclosure to be as close as possible, only using the polyfill to "fine tune" so to speak ie: don't build a .65 enclosure when your sub needs 2 cubes and just stuff the hell out of the .65.

Back