• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultimate Dana 300 w/Flip kit vs Atlas II

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
I have been saving up for an Atlas II with 4.3 gears and upgraded front output shaft when I cam across JB Conversions Ultimate Dana 300. A Dana 300 with 4 to 1 gears, 32 spline outputs, clocking plate and new input gear and DEO flip kit with twin stick comes to about the same price as a 4.3 Atlas II with upgraded front output.

What would be the advantages to either one? The only things I can think of is the 300 is 1.8" shorter than the Atlas but the Atlas has 4.3x1 vs. the 300's 4x1.

I would like to hear anyones opinion on these two options.

Thanks,

Have you ever compared a D-300 gearset to an Atlas gearset?

If you had, you would not be asking this question. The Atlas design is much stouter.

CRASH

There is no advantage to doing a D300 over an AtlasII unless you could do the D300 for way cheaper.
picture.JPG

Jes

How much is each kit? If the 300 kit is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, would you still want the extra strength of the Atlas? It just makes me wonder if you NEED to be stronger than a 300. I dont know much honestly on them, besides they are strong once you do the 32 spline upgrade. Any old CJ guys have info or wisdom to share?

Matt

I don't know anyone running the JB Conversions LoMax gear set, but it looks as if they compare better than stock Dana 300 gears...

Atlas left. Lomax right.
fig1_b.jpg

Also with the atlas you get synchros where with the D300 you have to stop everytime you want to shift the tc. This may not mean much to some people, but its worth the note.

-Scott

Thanks for the good info. Based on JB's info, they say the Lomax gears approach the Atlas in strength. For me the 300 is easier for me to get while I'm stationed overseas. I can get a 300 sent over here in several packages. Does anyone know if the 300 can be tucked up as high or higher than the Atlas? I really like the Atlas but I don't know of any practical way to get it over here. I also like the fact that the Atlas has synchros.

Thanks,

Rob Patterson said:
For me the 300 is easier for me to get while I'm stationed overseas. I can get a 300 sent over here in several packages.

Wouldn't the main packaging for the Atlas be identical to that of the 300? I will be heavier but probably same in price unless they ship the 300 split open and in pieces.

Pirates has a guy who has done the dana 300 flip for a whopping 20.00

Im considering this method myself Im trying to do the MJ as cheap and durable as possible and the 300 is still much stronger in stock form that the 231

20.00 dana 300 flip

Back