• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will rear Slip yoke from NP242 fit on NV/NP 231

GrimGrimDutch

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to find out if the 1822 XJ NP231, 5/8" longer slip yoke from RE will fit my NP242.

It will fit the NP231 looking at the part number.
So if any body can tell me if the rear yoke from a 231 will slide on a NP242 for 100 % sjure then I would be happy to hear that from you.

I've tried the search but no info on this specific question.
One thing that had me worried is that I've seen a pic (http://www.polytropia.com/cherokee/sye.html ) of a NV242 shaft and it has not the flat surface like my NP242 has.

Here's a pic of the inside from the slip yoke I'm running now.

1068499194_Close_up_spline_2.jpg

Did changing names from New Process to New Venture also changed things on the design?

And how long does it take the sales team from RE to answer an E-mail, second time this year they didn't responce..............:bsod:

GrimGrimDutch said:
It won't fit :(

That's strange, mine fit just fine. I pulled a 242 (actually a 229, long story) and put in a 231. The slip yoke looked identical to yours and it went on with no problem. I didn't notice any flat spot on either T-case (229 or 231) output shaft either.

If I had to guess, that flat spot allows the oil to flow to the closed end of the slipyoke, and also allows it to "breathe" so a vacuum isn't created when the driveshaft pulls the yoke back, or pressure when it pushes it in. That makes sense too because if the splines went all the way around, it would be nearly air tight with the oil and that closed end.

Mark

The "don't fit answer"came from RE.
Funny when they sell a SYE for the 231 listed as NP231 for pre 1996 XJ's that will fit the 242.

And at the same time the longer yoke NP231 will not fit, so they say :confused:

If they only would answer my E-mails then they could confirm this information or maybe correct it to a "Sorry it will fit, the guy who spoke to the RE dealer was wrong"

But before I jump in to conclusions............. Are you saying that the slip yoke on the DS first connected to your 242 fits the 231?

What years are those two TC's?
If you're right and we're not overlooking some modifications in the different build years I'm going to call them all the way from here in the Netherland$$$$.

And you're explanation on the flat surface seems right to me, and indeed there's no flat spot on my TC output shaft either.

Hé, this is good info hope you're right,

Oh, and here's a new pic.

1068639522_Close_up_spline_2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, all I did was switch the T-case and re-installed my original drive shaft and slip yoke onto the output shaft of the 231.

The long story about the NP229 is this.... I bought my XJ used for $500, the previous owner had all the receipts for work done by the owner of the XJ before him. So basically I have receipts for this thing since almost new.

Well the XJ had a problem with the T-case not wanting to shift out of 4WD for me and the shift points on the T-case did not match those of a NP242 selectrac. It had (2HI) (4HI full time) (N) (4LO) but no 4HI part time:confused: I looked at the tag on the T-case but the data had been intentionally mutilated. After doing some research and looking through the receipts I discovered that one of the previous owners grenaded the NP242 and the dealer work order showed installation of a rebuilt TC229 for $1300. So not only did this dealer put in the wrong T-case but it appeared they covered it up by destroying the ID tag.

At this point I decided I would just go to the U-pull junkyard and get a NP231 for $99 and be done with it. No problems since and it was a direct bolt in job.

Mark

So there was a 242 from factory.
Replaced by dealer who put in a rebuilt 229.
You replaced that one for a 231.

What if the dealer also replaced the driveshaft to match the yoke to that 229?

For a fact the slip yokes on a 229 and 231are the same since you swapped the TC's your self.

But in theory the 242 and 231 could be different................ just like the Mastermind game it leaves this option open.......in theory.

Now you have to take the driveshaft of, count the splines and and take measurements of the yoke to be sjure ;) .........let me know.

It will fit according to other (JU) members and Tom Woods.
The longer yoke from RE is actually a yoke from a YJ.

So case closed, thanks for all the help.

GrimGrimDutch said:
So there was a 242 from factory.
Replaced by dealer who put in a rebuilt 229.
You replaced that one for a 231.

What if the dealer also replaced the driveshaft to match the yoke to that 229?

For a fact the slip yokes on a 229 and 231are the same since you swapped the TC's your self.

But in theory the 242 and 231 could be different................ just like the Mastermind game it leaves this option open.......in theory.

Now you have to take the driveshaft of, count the splines and and take measurements of the yoke to be sjure ;) .........let me know.

Back