• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Sparhwk Rebuild 2.0

jsparhwk

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Im making this thread to keep better track of the hopeful rebuild process of the Jeep after I tipped it over :dunce: and crushed the A-pillars, I was parting it out but other than the add ons haven't gotten much interest, so I started doing research on here and joined. there are lots of posts on here with people who have replaced their A-pillars. so this will be a long process that I want to keep a history of its progress and get feedback as I go and this seems like a great place for that.
is there a better place for long term build thread like this? or is this good?
-first NAXJA post.
picture.php

Welcome, first post and red letters! Awesome. In theory, chop the top and cage/buggy it.

Well I'd like to keep it road legal, but I am planning on caging it as time / money allows.
I'll post pictures of the actual damage once its daylight.

originally I was gonna sell it just for the driveline but after several weeks only a few interested that didn't pan out. Then I was like well I'll
do the body work and get it back on the road.... but its pretty overwhelming the more I get into looking at whats needed the more it adds up....and I just found this :idea::
http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5205931410.html
(for when the link dies its a 98 black cherokee, listed with a bad engine and 2 sets of rims) the plan would be pull the engine, put the engine from mine in it and sell the rims to recoup costs...its only 650 but hoping I can get it for less.

Engine swap is easier to pull off correctly (for most of us) than a ton of measuring, cutting & welding structural parts of the unibody.

I'd buy the black '98 and swap drivetrain, no question. You'll be done with the powertrain swap in maybe 2 weekends. Grafting in new pillars, roofline, etc? Dude, you're talking about a retirement hobby.

If it has a clear title and will pass the state inspection, JUMP ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Got the Jeep for a good price,
some surface rust on the hood and roof, the rocker panel has a patch of rust on it and the cover panel for the filler neck is totally rusted, the underside appears pretty clean.

Some of the problem spots:

its supposed to rain this weekend so prob won't get started, but need to decide if I'm going to do any troubleshooting of the engine in the donor jeep that was sold as locked up or just start pulling accessories and labeling cables.
the fun begins!

so I managed to kill my photobucket album but now its fixed :compwork:
Got the Jeep for a good price,
some surface rust on the hood and roof, the rocker panel has a patch of rust on it and the cover panel for the filler neck is totally rusted, the underside appears pretty clean.

Some of the problem spots:

its supposed to rain this weekend so prob won't get started, but need to decide if I'm going to do any troubleshooting of the engine in the donor jeep that was sold as locked up or just start pulling accessories and labeling cables.
the fun begins!

So I have other updates I've been meaning to post, and just haven't gotten there yet.
but quick question.... I found a RE 5.5 used lift for $250 on CL (if its still available)
has 5.5" springs, 4.5" Leafs and 1" shackles.
my original intent for the build was to run the Iron Rock 3.5 leafs with synergy shackles for 4.5 total, running 35" tires.
but this is a pretty good deal, thoughts?

Back