• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help 4 low not working

firstXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 xj country 4.0L HO with auto trans. Not sure what trans or transfer case I have. I cannot get 4 low to engage. I bought the Jeep a few months back and it worked then but gave a grinding noise when engaging (like changing gears without using the clutch). I was wondering if there is a linkage that needs to be adjusted or did I loose 4 low all together? Not sure if this helps but I have 4 part time, 4 full time, and 4 low as selections other than 2 hi. All selections work great except 4 low.

Also, I am interested in knowing how to figure out what axles, trans and T case I have on the rig. Ehverything is stock on this vehicle as well.

Thanks for your help,
Paul

A little grind is somewhat normal when engaging 4Low. You should be rolling at ~2-3mph with the trans in neutral when you attempt it. Go from 4PT to a brief stop in neutral on the TC before sliding it back to 4Low. If it's not engaging, you likely need to adjust your TC linkage. A quick search here will reveal info on doing it. Takes about 5 minutes.

As for your equipment, you have an NP242 transfer case and your trans is an AW4. You have a D30 front axle and likely a D35 rear but it's not possible to tell for sure without pictures of the rear. Look here to identify your rear axle.

Dave

Last edited:
If you have ABS, you have a D35. Otherwise it is either that or the 27-spline ChryCo 8.25

Dave

If your 4 low still doesn't work properly after taking the above advice, your linkage might need adjusting. 4 low is the first thing to go if the linkage is off. To adjust it, you need to get under the vehicle, where you'll find, on the linkage, a trunnion with a bolt, through which a rod slides. It's pretty obvious what adjusts when you look at it. Loosen the bolt. If it's rusty, you may have to work it around a bit and squirt juice on it to make the thing slide. Now with the bolt loose, use the lever on the transfer case itself to engage 4 low all the way. Then get up into the cab, put the lever in 4 low, and go back and tighten the bolt.

A good visual check is that the lever should be about parallel with the floor when in 2 high. If it's tilted up, chances are very good that it will pop out of 4 low.

I'll have to try it that way next time Matthew. I've done it with neutral as my base point, which has worked for me.

Dave

hey thanks for the info guys. As soon as I get some free time I will definitely adjust the linkage. I did try to search for this problem in the forums, but I'm still new here and am still getting used to the search features. I have learned alot from reading these forums and try to help with the little knowledge that I have. It is nice to participate in a forum where everyone is so eager to help others.

Thanks again,
Paul

Back