• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire Ring install June 26th thru June 28th (and wheeling potentially on SR and DV)

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hey guys we have the ok from the Stanislaus forest to install the fire rings from last years donations. We are gonna make a camping trip out of this for those who can swing it. Gonna camp at hermit valley campground where we do the sierra fest event. Friday June 26th uh till Sunday the 28th. Some people will just come Saturday for the day of install. A few are gonna either hit slick rock or deer valley if they are opened in time.

I'll be up Friday, hoping to get the new fuel pump in the jeep before then assuming it arrives on time else I'll be taking up the daily driver and ask to ride along with someone for some wheelin

As an update from Aaron at the forest service, he'll be at Hermit Valley on the 27th with himself + 4 others to help wtih the install and they'll have all the tools needed but still feel free to bring an extra shovel if you have one you prefer and whatever else.

The start time on the 27th will be around 9:30AM-10AM once the Forest Service crew makes it to Hermit Valley which is about a 1 hour drive from their yard and they formally start work at 8:30AM.

Also, don't forget to bring enough water and food for yourselves for the weekend, perhaps we can do a potluck bbq on one of the new grills Saturday night??

And Slick Rock is supposed to be formally open this coming week which means we can go wheel slick rock after! Deer Valley is still technically closed on the El Dorado County site and the Stanislaus side they're extending the closure until the full trail is open but it could formally open before we're there, that part is TBD.

Last edited:
Id say well behaved dogs and have a leash in case there are other dogs that dont get along but sure.

Ill be up there friday morning hopefully. I might even go up thurs night and wheel boards crossing thursday . Not sure yet. might just do it friday on the way up.

anyone want to run SR or boards crossing on Friday on the way up ? I took Friday off so I was planning on wheeling one of those ?

There's a good chance I'll be joining you guys. If I do I'm open to wheeling on Friday.

anyone want to run SR or boards crossing on Friday on the way up ? I took Friday off so I was planning on wheeling one of those ?

I'm interested in possibly going wheeling Friday but isn't SR closed til the end of the month?

I'm interested in possibly going wheeling Friday but isn't SR closed til the end of the month?

its probably going to open this week but dont tell anyone

Attachments

• slickrock7n17.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Hope you are right seems crazy that everything else is open EXCEPT for slickrock (7n17)

From our last call with the forest service folks, they brought in some extra soil or something to the rock pile area in the new trail enterance and they're waiting for the late spring precipitation to stop so the vehicle traffic doesn't accelerate any erosion of the new soil they brought in but they expect in the next week or two for it to be open formally.

From our last call with the forest service folks, they brought in some extra soil or something to the rock pile area in the new trail enterance and they're waiting for the late spring precipitation to stop so the vehicle traffic doesn't accelerate any erosion of the new soil they brought in but they expect in the next week or two for it to be open formally.

Thanks for the update, I was getting nervous that they might have found some endangered yellow bellied horny unicorn beetle or something and would keep it closed all year!!

Slick rock was open this last weekend. I camped with the kids at the bottom and relaxed... should we bring a big sledge hammer for fire rings? I assume we are staking these things in?
I can bring one!

Slick rock was open this last weekend. I camped with the kids at the bottom and relaxed... should we bring a big sledge hammer for fire rings? I assume we are staking these things in?
I can bring one!

Has it changed much from last year in that new portion in the beginning?

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to bring one, the Forest service said they'd provide tools but I feel it wouldn't hurt to bring extra shovels if you have a favorite one. The idea for the anchors was to dig a post hole then bury them in but a sledge hammer might be a good tool to have in case as well

Back