• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help me spend $5,000.00

thebluebuffalo

NAXJA Forum User
tax time, and i've got no debt. so i'm going to "invest" in my rig. i've got a four door 96 xj 4.0 that is in perfect running condition. it's got the dana 30 in the front and 8.25 in the rear running 3:55 gears. it also as the 231 and aw4. i've got a 4.5 rough country with 33x12.5 dayton timberline m/t's on soft 8s already. i will be making my own bumpers and rails this summer.
so here is the task.....help me spend 5 big ones on the most important items to make a good rig. this is not my dd, although i don't want a trailer queen. i do drive to where i wheel. heres what i already have planned, sterring reinforcement, rear shackles, belly pan. what do i need (please list in order of need)....gears, air lockers, hub lockers, rear disc conversion, snorkles, rack, recorvery items, winch, lights, sye, custom drive shift, bumpstop. help me out NAXJA

Def lockers. and def selectable. upgrade your steering. JCR 1 ton steering is nice and won't brake the bank. maybe beef up that d30 a bit. long arm it? (t&t has belly pan skid with the long arm setup) If this is not your DD, then gears aren't that important, unless you just want that peace of mind.
So id say
1. Lockers (ARB or OX)
2. Steering upgrade (JCR 1-ton, ORO u turn, Currie HD setup)
3. Beef up that D30
4. Long Arm kit (T&T would be my choice)
5. Cool stuff (snorkel, winch, lights)

thebluebuffalo said:
tax time, and i've got no debt. so i'm going to "invest" in my rig. i've got a four door 96 xj 4.0 that is in perfect running condition. it's got the dana 30 in the front and 8.25 in the rear running 3:55 gears. it also as the 231 and aw4. i've got a 4.5 rough country with 33x12.5 dayton timberline m/t's on soft 8s already. i will be making my own bumpers and rails this summer.
so here is the task.....help me spend 5 big ones on the most important items to make a good rig. this is not my dd, although i don't want a trailer queen. i do drive to where i wheel. heres what i already have planned, sterring reinforcement, rear shackles, belly pan. what do i need (please list in order of need)....gears, air lockers, hub lockers, rear disc conversion, snorkles, rack, recorvery items, winch, lights, sye, custom drive shift, bumpstop. help me out NAXJA

Start with a kickass longarm system like BDS. Trim the crap out of the fenders for your new 35" BFG MT KM2's. Lock both axels using ARB's and stuff some superior 30/29 spline axels shafts in w/ 4.88 gears. Put in a 1 ton steering system(JCR or TnT), new Bilstien shocks. Maybe a winch.........I think your 5 big ones are gone by now...oh wait it was gone long ago!!:D :peace:

Last edited:
1. Take $4500, get a money order made out to "Zac Cockrell"
2. Take the remaining $500 and buy your wife/gf/significant other somehting pretty..
3. Sit back and smile upon your well spent $5000

1. Armor/recovery
2. gears/lockers
3. Steering
4. SYE/DS
5. Long arm Kit
6. Pretty stuff like snorkle and rack come last

Ok...send the check to me at 3170...oh...hehe...

Dude...$5k and you've already got the foundation covered...what can't you buy? Buy it all! Skids, axles, re-gear, lockers, winch, rack, lights front and back, heck...sides too, snorkel, all the recovery gear, throw some leather seats in there to soften the ride, line-x the sides, rear quarter guards with integrated metal box taillights, cage it, somebody please pick up where I'm leaving off...I'm sure I'm missing something...

EDIT***Wow Zac...way to make us look gay as hell...write about the same thing as I did...lol..."hehe send the money to ___"...geez we're corny.

I would say first get the Rock Krawler long arm upgrade. Auto lockers. SYE. Bumpers t-case skid. Rock Rails. Winch. Steering. Diff covers. Gearing. Alloy Axles. Roll cage. Thats the order im doing everything in. I waited in the Long arm and regretted i didnt get it earlier. The only thing left on my list is to re-gear and roll cage. But with the auto and 33's+ 3:55's its not to bad only being a trail rig. If you plan on going anything bigger then 35's ditch the 8.25 axle.

my latest re-build thread http://www.adirondackjeeps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6419
went a little over board. But with my whole xj im right around 6-7 grand. I started with a rolling chassis w/o an engine so iv literally built the whole thing.

BruceB83 said:
Ok...send the check to me at 3170...oh...hehe...

Dude...$5k and you've already got the foundation covered...what can't you buy? Buy it all! Skids, axles, re-gear, lockers, winch, rack, lights front and back, heck...sides too, snorkel, all the recovery gear, throw some leather seats in there to soften the ride, line-x the sides, rear quarter guards with integrated metal box taillights, cage it, somebody please pick up where I'm leaving off...I'm sure I'm missing something...

EDIT***Wow Zac...way to make us look gay as hell...write about the same thing as I did...lol..."hehe send the money to ___"...geez we're corny.

rear speaker mount is on my list as well. ;)

I did it first.. you ruined it... stupid peach stater

Also... nvm.. reread it

How about an internal cage? I'd probably go with gears, lockers and a cage. Of course it would be awfully hard not to just go buy sliders and bumpers instead of making them if I had that kind of money to spend.

just saw that somebody already said cage. Guess thats what I get for not reading the full post...

dellstopjeep said:
before you talk about building that rear axle either swap it for one from a 97 or newer xj or try to find a dana 44 or 8.8
Why swap it when you can install a set of 4.56s, 29 spline locker or LSD and get a set of 29 spine Alloy USA shafts, for a rear disk conversion the 96-98 ZJ rear disks are almost 100% bolt on just requires alittle ginding.
Sounds like the OP has a decent idea of where he plans to start.

ZacSquatch said:

Also... nvm.. reread it
.....UUhhh....if you read the first post you would know..:gee: ;)

rob92xj said:
Why swap it when you can install a set of 4.56s, 29 spline locker or LSD and get a set of 29 spine Alloy USA shafts, for a rear disk conversion the 96-98 ZJ rear disks are almost 100% bolt on just requires alittle ginding.
Sounds like the OP has a decent idea of where he plans to start.

X2 but I would go with Superior who will have 4.88's for the 8.25 very soon!!

ZacSquatch said:

Also... nvm.. reread it

KMA sasquatch...haha...whatever, NC is the one with MILK as the official state beverage...milk's gross.

Back to helping this man spend his money...:laugh3:

BruceB83 said:
KMA sasquatch...haha...whatever, NC is the one with MILK as the official state beverage...milk's gross.

Back to helping this man spend his money...:laugh3:

I love milk... Milk comes from boobs... Cupid has Spoken..

BruceB83 said:
Yeah...I picked up that hint...:laugh:...Saturday will tell.

:cool:

thebluebuffalo said:

T&T Customs Y-Link upgrade and frame stiffners $1400
Powertrax no-slip locker in the rear, ARB selectable front + regear to 4.56 or 4.88 $1700
Diff protection $200
Winch $500
Hack-n-tap SYE $90
C-Rock steering box reinforcement $100
OTK Steering $ 500 ?
New rear driveshaft $250
CB, tow strap, tree saver, D-rings, shackles, snatch block etc.

Back