• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm an e-mail spy

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
I enabled an e-mail tracking program (to monitor my kid’s email).
Teenage girls sure do talk about some silly stuff.

I also said, what the heck, and also monitored my wife’s email (no, she doesn’t know).
I found out that she buys stuff online and doesn’t tell me about it.
Clothes, books, baby stuff - but nothing for me :mad:

And even though she gets tons of forwarded stories, chain-letters, etc., she does not forward them on… :) - Good girl!

So I guess I really can't complain... :thumbup:

Fergie said:
I see copious amounts of Jeep parts in the future.
Yeah, because when she finds out he's been hacking her email, he'll be single and won't have to compete for the checkbook anymore.

Okie Terry said:
Yeah, because when she finds out he's been hacking her email, he'll be single and won't have to compete for the checkbook anymore.
I'm guessing its a two way street.

Secrets and spying arent good for a relationship.

Fergie

I'm kinda screwed too.
It's not like I can ask her about what she bought online without implicating myself at the same time.

RTicUL8 said:
I'm kinda screwed too.
It's not like I can ask her about what she bought online without implicating myself at the same time.

Try ditching the insecurity and live your own life. You wouldn't have issues like this if you felt better about yourself.

Yes. Whu are you doing this in the first place? Even if you found something out, you wouldn't be able confront them without looking like an arse. I suggest to stop tracking em,ails and such. Even with your daughter. And you wonder why she might act paranoid...

ECKSJAY said:
Try ditching the insecurity and live your own life. You wouldn't have issues like this if you felt better about yourself.

Not to mention that what he just did was potentially a felony, should any aggreived family members feel like pursuing the matter.

casm said:
Not to mention that what he just did was potentially a felony, should any aggreived family members feel like pursuing the matter.

Did you have further info on this? I can't find anything that says it's illegal in one's own home...though it's reasonable to consider it immoral and unethical.

ECKSJAY said:
Did you have further info on this? I can't find anything that says it's illegal in one's own home...though it's reasonable to consider it immoral and unethical.

Let me see what I can dig up later today - IIRC, it's state-by-state and depends largely on the views of the presiding judge. In general, though, it's been taken as being roughly equivalent to steaming open letters before they're sent in order to check their content.

But yeah, even if it isn't specifically prohibited, it's a pretty low thing to do.

I'm torn by this one: While I agree with the concept of personal privacy and not spying on your family members, Reticul8 obviously has good reason to mistrust his wife, and I don't think keeping an eye on your daughter online is necessarily a bad idea--the world is a potentially icky place for young girls.

I don't know the poster's financial arrangements, but if his wife is spending his money on stuff without his implied or expressed consent/knowledge, he has reason to be a bit upset. Maybe CC bills also reveal the evidence, and he could use that to introduce the issue w/ her.

The whole thing sounds "Big Brother-y", until I think about it a bit. I don't know about spying on the wife, but there are some definite issues that you should have known about.

Above all, don't get caught. THAT would be bad. I understand the desire to know what's going on, but remember the Golden Rule.

I did the same thing with my family... and also didn't find out anything I didn't already know about my wife.. thank god. but I did learn that her best "girlfriend" was cheating on her hubby.. after that. I couldn't look her in the eyes, and I was TORN whether or not to tell my friend (her hubby) what was going on. But ultimatly figured I knew too much, and would have "prove" where I got the info from....

word from someone that's been down this road... stop doing it.. if you run net nanny or something for your daughter.. it will monitor the email for certain words and will log the email... might try that instead.

Don't know bout the wife but at least here in Missouri a parent is permitted to search their kids room, read their diary, read their email, track where they go online, etc. in order to ensure their safety and see what their involved in. And yes, I have done that...I remember being a teenager.

For awhile anyone using my computer was tracked BUT there was a warning login about it. We were getting 20-30 virus' a day plus a poo-load of adware.

Sarge

Some clarification:

Both my wife and I told our daughter that we would be monitoring her email to make sure that she was using it appropriately and that it did not interfere with her schoolwork.
We want to protect her too.
My daughter knows that we will watch it less and less as she gets older.

My wife and I share just one e-mail address at home, but I’m rarely on my home computer. I could check it at anytime at home, and it was not my intention to really “spy”(even though I used that word) on my wife. I just found out that I could watch all of my home email from work, so I did it.
I didn’t have any reason to mistrust my wife.
I just found out that she likes to shop – what lady doesn’t.
I’m going to stop watching my home email and just watch my daughter’s for now.

I wrote this originally to just complain that she hasn’t spent anything on me yet. :laugh3:

Well, now it doesn't sound so bad, I guess...

RTicUL8 said:
Some clarification:

Both my wife and I told our daughter that we would be monitoring her email to make sure that she was using it appropriately and that it did not interfere with her schoolwork.
We want to protect her too.
My daughter knows that we will watch it less and less as she gets older.

My wife and I share just one e-mail address at home, but I’m rarely on my home computer. I could check it at anytime at home, and it was not my intention to really “spy”(even though I used that word) on my wife. I just found out that I could watch all of my home email from work, so I did it.
I didn’t have any reason to mistrust my wife.
I just found out that she likes to shop – what lady doesn’t.
I’m going to stop watching my home email and just watch my daughter’s for now.

I wrote this originally to just complain that she hasn’t spent anything on me yet. :laugh3:

Easy to say now that hindsight is 20/20.

it aint like the gov'ment isnt already reading all your emails anyway.

Back