• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread: Out of Misery, again...

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
Out with the old, in with the new. One of the hardest things I've done was sell my Jeep. Here it is driving off into the sunset with her new owner...

picture.php

My objective is to build a smaller jeep, with both great road manners and very capable off road manners.

This is the start platform of my new build. It is a Georgia Jeep that is super clean, it even has solid floor pans!!! I bought it for $500 with a bad motor, and it currently has a Yohn brand transfer case. (aka, 2wd).

picture.php

I need drivetrain, so I went back to craigslist and found this 98 that was hit in the ass. I paid $800 for this jeep with 170k miles.

picture.php

picture.php

Currently I have sold the front clip for $250 and the rear axle is spoken for another $75, which leaves me at an investment of $475 for the parts jeep, which after a part out and scrap, I should be money ahead with a free drivetrain.

Last edited:
Re: Build thread: Out of Misery, again....

My first task was to start the parts buying. I decided to make this primarily an Iron Rock Off Road jeep. I am so impressed with the company, not only kick ass products, but their support of NAXJA and the MWC.

list of IRO parts:

5.5" Critical Path Long Arm Kit
Premium Rock Sliders
HD over the knuckle steering
D30 truss
8.25 truss
H-n-T SYE
Custom driveshaft
4.56 gears, front and rear

My second call was to our very own Brian Ho Bag, aka HD Offroad

front, mid and rear stiffeners
no lift shackle relocation brackets
wheel balance beads

I also went to the tire store.

33x12.50 Good Year MTR Kevlar
15x8 DC 2 Wheels

picture.php

I also contacted RWK Haus for my front locker, after much debate and input from my NAXJA buds, I decided to go with the Yukon Zip Air Locker. The rear will have a factory limited slip for better road manners.

Last edited:

Can't wait to see it when you get it done. A lot of good parts are going on it.

Id skip the IRO arms, but thats just me. Looking good man :D

Is your rear leaf springs being used again or did you get new ones? I would be interested in the old ones if they are still pretty arched.

I see pics. Looks like a good project.

I'm liking this already. I love that it's a clean vehicle to start with. Should make building it a bit easier.

Them riiimz is hawt!

I'm sure you'll get to it, but what are you thinking about in terms of armor?

Can't see the pics in your post either, but checked them out in your profile. Sweet start! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Looks like a good build Dan, I have a silver one almost identical to that, it won't be near as cool though :(

Can't wait to see where this goes.

-Collin

PS-if you want to sell any of the silver body parts or trade for dented ones plus cash (before you rail on it) let me know. I need basically all of them ;)

Im thinking about going with that IRO steering. looking forward to seeing this build

Looks like a good build Dan, I have a silver one almost identical to that, it won't be near as cool though :(

Can't wait to see where this goes.

-Collin

PS-if you want to sell any of the silver body parts or trade for dented ones plus cash (before you rail on it) let me know. I need basically all of them ;)

I will think about it Collin, my first thought is that I'd like to create my own damage, it wouldn't be fair if I had a beat up jeep that someone else beat up. :D

I will think about it Collin, my first thought is that I'd like to create my own damage, it wouldn't be fair if I had a beat up jeep that someone else beat up. :D
But think about how pristine those body panels could stay on my Jeep that will never see the likes of the Badlands :)

If you do decide that you'd consider it, I'd make it worth your time, I can't find silver 97+ body parts anywhere around here.

I'll quit derailing your thread now :kissyou:

I've never had a problem seeing Dan's pics, but to get this thread somewhat back on topic, I would suggest not attempting rockface on it's maiden voyage ;)

Re: Re: Build thread: Out of Misery, again....

I've never had a problem seeing Dan's pics, but to get this thread somewhat back on topic, I would suggest not attempting rockface on it's maiden voyage ;)

Lol John! This jeep will be one of the jeeps setting at the bottom watching the "big" jeeps play.

Back