• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cabins and camping

NAXJA Forum User
Where are you staying?

We're arriving Saturday evening June 27th and if that family reunion hasn't abandoned the smaller cabins (Stephen thinks they might) we will tent camp the 27, 28, 29 and check into cabin 4 on the 30th. Will check out on Sunday July 5th. If they have then we'll be in #4 from 6-27 to 7-5.

IS IT JUNE YET??!!

We'll have my MJ and most likely Carmine's waggy (full size)...if not then his YJ will come again. Hoping to find a bigger trailer so he can bring both. Love to find (read be able to afford) 2 bigger trailers so I can bring my new S x S as well. He will have his wife and grandson and I think his daughter and her boyfriend my drive up separately. I'm bringing my 12 year old son again and maybe one of or both of my other kids as well...they won't be happy when the wife tells them she doesn't want them to go this year because she's not going.

Last edited:
I will be tent camping. If all goes to plan, I will be towing the XJ up there. If not, I'll drive my ZJ and either wheel with the easy group, or bum rides from people in harder groups.

IS IT JUNE YET??!!

Not quite! Here's a recent picture of the Harlan Wal-Mart. Anyone want to hit the mountain?

I'll be commuting from home. I may throw up a tent for one night, who knows. I usually don't camp out in the woods without a shotgun and I don't know if they allow firearms on the premises. Most likely not.

10987734_903834999661329_2387914273390171156_n.jpg

WOW looks like all the cabins are already booked, that was early.

A lot of them have been booked since last year.

Fishinpolejoe...any way you can bottle some of that so in June/July it is cooler? Last year I think we had about the best weather you could expect! Got down to 51* more than one night while we were there.

Arriving on 6/30 leaving 7/5. Not sure what site though. Just look for the big white heep!

I guess I'm going to try to camp this year. Depends on if the wife and kids come, though.

If they don't come I'm setting up a tent for sure.

Not quite! Here's a recent picture of the Harlan Wal-Mart. Anyone want to hit the mountain?

I'll be commuting from home. I may throw up a tent for one night, who knows. I usually don't camp out in the woods without a shotgun and I don't know if they allow firearms on the premises. Most likely not.

Camp if you can, the evening festivities are what make The Crawl such a blast!
As far as arms are concerned, lots of people carry. It's never been a problem, as long as you are not acting a fool, and just carry like a responsible adult.

As far as arms are concerned, lots of people carry. It's never been a problem, as long as you are not acting a fool, and just carry like a responsible adult.

I know Stephen (campground owner) carries, I always have a little sumtin on me....

A lot of them have been booked since last year.

Fishinpolejoe...any way you can bottle some of that so in June/July it is cooler? Last year I think we had about the best weather you could expect! Got down to 51* more than one night while we were there.

If I could bottle up the cold I'd never let it back out! I hope it doesn't get too hot, but if it does there's always an ice cold mountain stream to jump in or the nearby Martin's Fork Lake.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...2!3m1!1s0x885b6ac810fa178b:0x655baec80e65b040

10985216_774290929322955_7569820987142330270_n.jpg

If anyone is interested or needing somewhere to camp, I believe you can camp there at the lake. They might even have cabins. I don't know for sure because I haven't been up there in a long time. It would be worth checking into if you have nowhere to stay. Google maps says the lake is 24.6 miles or 40 minutes from Black Mtn. though, and the road to the lake is most definitely not trailer friendly.

I'd hate to miss out. Do you have to reserve a spot for a tent or can you just throw one up amongst the trees? I'm not above sleeping in the XJ either.

Good to know on the firearms. I am a responsible gun owner. Former federal corrections officer and I've been shooting since I was about five. My dad was all about some gun safety and the feds were too.

I can guarantee there are black bears and coyotes up there, and most likely mountain lions. I like to be ready for those sort of encounters.

Bingo.

We're in cabins this year. Think we (some of us and the mwc peeps) have two cabins up the hill.

I'd hate to miss out. Do you have to reserve a spot for a tent or can you just throw one up amongst the trees? I'm not above sleeping in the XJ either.

Good to know on the firearms. I am a responsible gun owner. Former federal corrections officer and I've been shooting since I was about five. My dad was all about some gun safety and the feds were too.

I can guarantee there are black bears and coyotes up there, and most likely mountain lions. I like to be ready for those sort of encounters.

You don't need a reservation for a tent, just find a space in amongst all the other tenters. The tent rates are very reasonable.

Last year we had a black bear make his way from the cabins all the way across the rv sites checking out grills and garbage cans! He was harmless though, he ran off when you yelled or clapped your hands.

You don't need a reservation for a tent, just find a space in amongst all the other tenters. The tent rates are very reasonable.

Last year we had a black bear make his way from the cabins all the way across the rv sites checking out grills and garbage cans! He was harmless though, he ran off when you yelled or clapped your hands.

Yeah . . . I think I'll bring the memory foam along and just sleep in the XJ. I didn't use to have any issues sleeping in a tent, but then we started seeing bears, mountain lions, and wild hogs around here. I have been sleeping in my vehicle on camping trips for many years now.

Back