• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Handheld radio question.

If you look up and to the left on your roof you'll see an oval shaped hole where the sun visor was once attached. The belt clip fits in that hole perfectly and will stay there all do with zero issues. I clipped mine there and it never once fell out.

Granted, that requires no visors and no headliner.

Sounds like if you stick with your CB you aren't going to have anyone to talk to... lol

Unless you have an internal cage that is in front of said hole..... Everything in my jeep is tied down too. Last thing I want is a radio being a projectile in a roll over. Not on the extreme ride. Jim and I discussed it and we both agreed that there is no place to put one in our rigs.

Unless you have an internal cage that is in front of said hole..... Everything in my jeep is tied down too. Last thing I want is a radio being a projectile in a roll over. Not on the extreme ride. Jim and I discussed it and we both agreed that there is no place to put one in our rigs.

You aren't looking hard enough.

There's a lanyard on it to keep it from being a projectile.

Why not whip up a small bracket to clip it to?

You must be pretty rough on them. Out of the 350 of those that we've sold I've only seen 1 broken belt clip.

There's at least 300 of them being used in my County for Fire and EMS. They work just as well as the $800 radios that the County issues when they're hitting repeaters.

Why not whip up a small bracket to clip it to?

2df42cb35d7df96b87c6f9e154333fed.jpg

dd97f172ac4cef1f0e2c2c6a04f40a33.jpg

48075ad08d1f2e1a44bc0bcae3af68bb.jpg

e75beebaad5d713629d43267a28cea34.jpg

That bracket is made by a gentleman on Expediton Portal. It mounts with a ram mount anywhere you have a piece of tube. The vehicle stuff for the UV-5R will cost you 10 bucks (mic and power adapter). A vehicle antenna installation like mine will run you another 40, but you could get away with the factory or 16" whip inside the vehicle.

No worries about breaking belt clips at that point because it stays in the bracket all the time.

That's pretty sweet! Though, that kinda loses the mobility aspect of the handheld. It's a great low cost radio setup, though.

Once I get my HAM license I'd like to get a mobile unit hard mounted in the Jeep and keep the handhelds hand held.

Yes, I used one in the hard group we just used cbs. They worked well this trip. I can't hear anything that has to be stored on my pocket and can't clip it on a belt comfortable with my seats and harnesses. Josh solution looks interesting. My clip actually broke when it was clipped to my Sun visor.

Yes, I used one in the hard group we just used cbs. They worked well this trip. I can't hear anything that has to be stored on my pocket and can't clip it on a belt comfortable with my seats and harnesses. Josh solution looks interesting. My clip actually broke when it was clipped to my Sun visor.

I'm not following. You broke a belt clip on a UV-5RA?

I had mine clipped in a hole where my visor used to be all weekend and it never budged. Heard it loud and clear.

2df42cb35d7df96b87c6f9e154333fed.jpg

dd97f172ac4cef1f0e2c2c6a04f40a33.jpg

48075ad08d1f2e1a44bc0bcae3af68bb.jpg

e75beebaad5d713629d43267a28cea34.jpg

That bracket is made by a gentleman on Expediton Portal. It mounts with a ram mount anywhere you have a piece of tube. The vehicle stuff for the UV-5R will cost you 10 bucks (mic and power adapter). A vehicle antenna installation like mine will run you another 40, but you could get away with the factory or 16" whip inside the vehicle.

No worries about breaking belt clips at that point because it stays in the bracket all the time.

Josh,

What is the knob on the back of the bracket do?

I like the fact that you can add an external antenna and a hand mic to the Baofeng radio. It's nice to be able to tailor it your application/needs.

You have awesome oil pressure. What's your secret?

I'm not following. You broke a belt clip on a UV-5RA?

I had mine clipped in a hole where my visor used to be all weekend and it never budged. Heard it loud and clear.

No he is saying he broke the Midlands clip I believe. I'll have to look at that mount. IDK why everyone is so gung ho over these things. Granted I have had issues in the past with my cb but that was related to that craptastic antennae I was using that ever tree branch would take out!

The ball is part of the universal "RAM Mount". The company offers tons of mounting kits that all use the 1" ball as a pivot point.

Does it just support the back of the bracket?

What actually holds the radio in place in the bracket?

Does it just support the back of the bracket?

What actually holds the radio in place in the bracket?

The belt clip fits over the back and the part on the bottom that sticks out goes in the little slot that's cut out. I added the foam because it rattled around in the bracket.

If you don't want to mount it to a permanent antenna, you just leave the battery in it and grab it out of the bracket when you want to take it with you. Honestly, as inexpensive as they are, I'm going to just leave that one in there and have another if I need to roam.

RAM mounts are pretty universal once you buy the ball. The dude that does those brackets welds a 1/4-20 nut on them and the ball (or whatever else you want) screws in. You could even spot weld the bracket to something or use a regular 1/4-20 bolt.

The other tube mount in that picture is a RAM mount tube adapter. It's for the iPad.

I can hook up your oil pressure Ed if you want. Everyone can have a sender that doesn't work if you cut the right wires ;)

IDK why everyone is so gung ho over these things. Granted I have had issues in the past with my cb but that was related to that craptastic antennae I was using that ever tree branch would take out!

They proved their worth to me when Tim and I could hear Ed talking on the other side of the mountain from the campground. I can't seem to get my CB to be clear 100' away on flat ground, and I have more than $50 invested in my CB...

They proved their worth to me when Tim and I could hear Ed talking on the other side of the mountain from the campground. I can't seem to get my CB to be clear 100' away on flat ground, and I have more than $50 invested in my CB...

Didn't hear about that. We didn't even try to contact anyone in any other group though. Didn't have their channel or the know how to change it.

Back