• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Cables

cartbart

NAXJA Forum User
i want a set of very heavy duty battery cables 1/0 welding cable or better. i was going to order from jon kelly 5-90 but i got an automated messaging from him and im worried i might not be able to get them by the fourth of july. im leaving for a trip. any one have any other ideas or recommendations?

I went to the local welding shop and bought some cable, then to napa to get ends and colored shrink wrap when I did mine.

Giant cables are a waste of time and money, bigger isn't better after a certain point.

It's one thing to use what
You've got, but 1/0 is way overkill....

Giant cables are a waste of time and money, bigger isn't better after a certain point.

It's one thing to use what
You've got, but 1/0 is way overkill....

^ This. IF you had a bunch of 1/0 laying around, great. I think mine are 2 gauge. Look at the specs for current ratings. Now, if you're mounting the battery in the back, perhaps 1/0 make sense. But 3 feet from battery to starter, not so much.

When you do the upgrade, be sure to also upgrade the wiring from the alternator and to the PDC. Those should be about 6 ga, if I recall correctly.

David Bricker / SYR

Jeepers creepers are the best. You can't go wrong
a9f1dc0e21b6b04ab92d75626eb88463.jpg

I went to the local welding shop and bought some cable, then to napa to get ends and colored shrink wrap when I did mine.

Thanks for this post. I had to do a repair on an old 5-90 cable and
I was wondering where to find the shrink wrap. Heading to Napa tomorrow.:wave1:

Back