• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Engine Swap Question ???

Parrothead

NAXJA Forum User
I found a low mileage 4.0 engine out of a 1996 Cherokee and would like to know if this engine will work with the computer on my 1992 4.0 HO (High Output) Cherokee. Are the computers the same for the '92 and '96 engines? Thanks for any info you can give me. :)

Pre June 1996 use all the same sensors and connectors, (maybe a different vacuum line here or there), but will be easy. Post June 1996 use all the same everything except the sensor connectors are different but the sensors are the same, rendering them useless to you but wanted by others. (They did this so that they could jack the prices on the same exact sensors)

Just swap out your throttle body with your old one and the rest should be the same. The engine internally is the same. You may also need to swap out your coolant sensor and O2 sensors as they will have a different connector. ( just ran downstairs and checked) Good luck!!!!

Back