• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas mileage with lift/tires/axles/gear ratio?

jack96xj

NAXJA Forum User
asking around to find out how much lift, what size tires and what kind of gas mileage with the setup. Had my computer flashed and according to the new calibrations I get about 160-180 to the tank with RE 4.5" SF kit, 33x12.5-15, CHRYCO 8.25 with stock gears. Trying to get a little more out of the tank. I am sure there is a thread for this already but I looked and dont really have the patience to continue.

Thanks
Jack:huh:

You're in the wrong forum and this has been covered a hundred times in the right one ..

BUT

Gear 4.56 or 4.88 and you'll get the best mileage. Depends on the driver and weight, etc, but between 16 and 22 mpg.

thanks Cal. Please do tell where the correct forum is. I looked and have had limited time on the computer so searching isnt really time effective for me.

Just because I think Cal's a dick I'll tell you what I average. :D

13 city, 17 highway

That's 4.88:1 gearing, selectable lockers (Not on), 35" Maxxis Bighorns, and about 6" of lift. Weight is semi-hefty as it is a full body rig but no cage and stuff. Has a stock Renix 4.0 that makes good power hooked up to a Renix era AW4 (0.705:1 OD verses 0.75:1). Also have a spot on speedometer/odometer according to my GPS.

Last edited:
Jeez, my Jeep needs some work done to it. I'm on 32s with stock gears, auto and get about 12 city/15 hwy. or worse according to the overhead gauge.
I'm hoping 4.56s will help me get better MPGs, I could really use more gas mileage. That an changing the O2 sensor won't hurt, it has never thrown any codes but I haven't changed it in the 4 years I've owned it.

Regearing will help. big tires and stock gears is sorta like towing a trailer around all day.

go 4:88's do it right the first time

my stock 5 speed 2wd MJ, 22 or more on the highway

my 6" lifted XJ on black steelies, 33s and 3.55s, aw4 and 231, around 10 highway, 8 city.

if i could afford it i would drive the XJ everywhere, its way more fun :D

92, auto, 33's, 4.88s, interior/exterior cage, BF front bumper w/ winch, lifted about 3"-5", I'm lucky to get 13mpg.

97, auto, stock height, 235 BFG AT's 15-18mpg, hit 20mpg driving to Vegas, CC set to 70mph (or 75 mph, can't remember)

You're in the wrong forum and this has been covered a hundred times in the right one ..

BUT

Gear 4.56 or 4.88 and you'll get the best mileage. Depends on the driver and weight, etc, but between 16 and 22 mpg.

For better highway cruising, go 4.56, for better crawlability go 4.88

shit guys! i get about 12-14MPG's If im lucky. Im running 33's and 4.88's Then again the last trip i went on i did a steady 70 MPH @ about 3k RPM's. I think i would have gotten a bit more had i kept it @ 60-65MPH but Jeeper John likes to drive fast so go figure... Th Oxygen sensor on my rig is pretty new. The only thing i can think that contributes to poor gas milage is a tired 4.0 that i have. but then again i could be wrong.

about 14 city, 17 highway.

RE 3.5" + some spacers, about 4.25", 31" BFG AT's, 4.10's, Ford 8.8

I have a 4.5" lift and 32's on my 98' XJ with stock gears. So far I am getting 83 degrees F.

I get so pissed looking at the gas mileage I just keep it on the thermometer instead.

Back