• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are you running the Dusy?

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
If so, I need a head/rig count.

We will be leaving monday morning from base camp at 8am sharp. Its a bit of a drive to the trail head and going to need as much time on the trail as possible to still allow us to see all the super awesome views.

The plan is to start at Courtwright Lake where we will all get together and have a short discussion on trail etiquette and safety. This trail is extremely important and is ALWAYS under scrutiny from enviro peoples. After a short drivers meeting, we will head up to Chicken Rock where more than likely we will have a stop session to "watch" the climb.

We need to make it Thompson Lake for the first night. With a group full of jeepers who have never been to this part of the Sierras, we will need all day to travel those first 11 miles.

Break camp early on Tuesday and hit the trail again headed for Ershim Lake. We will get there before dark hopefully and have a good time at the campsite. There is outhouses provided by local 4x4 clubs, just FYI.

Wednesday we will chill at the lake. Depending upon interest, I have a really nice and short day hike a group can take for some awesome views. This is totally optional because hanging out and doing nothing sounds great as well!

Thursday we can break camp around 9 and be on our way. We have a short drive out to the road, but will want to eat some lunch at the very top of the trail because its amazing. We will air up, head into Shaver to fuel up, get ice and food, then drive back up to the base camp. IIRC, this is about a 100 mile loop, so if you think you want to bring a 5 gallon jerry can, it would be ok. I usually dont.

Please let me know ASAP if you are going. It would be nice to do a potluck on Wednesday night at the lake.

Last edited:
I would like to run this trail, but i understand its difficult and really don't know if my jeep is up for it. I'm locked front and rear on 31" tires. I have spare shafts and don't mind dented body panels.
Will i be holding the group up? You can be honest with me i dont mind.

Just got back from Voyager Rock and and Courtright Res. yesterday. It is absolutely perfect.

Matt I changed my plans for that weekend, and will be meeting up with you all on Monday morning at the campsite.

luvdaxj said:
I would like to run this trail, but i understand its difficult and really don't know if my jeep is up for it. I'm locked front and rear on 31" tires. I have spare shafts and don't mind dented body panels.
Will i be holding the group up? You can be honest with me i dont mind.

You will be fine. Make sure you have rocker guards and good tow points.

EVERYONE needs to run this trail at least once in thier lifetime. So if you are questioning it, just do it.

Matt

The Dusy is like the Rubicon, everyone should run it at least once. It's long, and beautiful, and the majority of the trail is close to or above 10,000 ft. This trip will be especially nice since it's mid-week.

As of right now I'm planning on being there for Dusy. As stated in Richard's head count thread, my only concern is my lack of spare d30 shafts. Anyway, see you Sunday.

Back