• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saran Wrap-China Wall-Winding Stairs

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to wheel these Oct 24th-25th.
Are there good campsites around, and what "tips" do you all have as to the trails and or unknown trails in that area?
Are there any specific must see's in the area?
Driving up from Springfield Colorado- 30 miles square from OK/KS border.

Looking to wheel these Oct 24th-25th.
Are there good campsites around, and what "tips" do you all have as to the trails and or unknown trails in that area?
Are there any specific must see's in the area?
Driving up from Springfield Colorado- 30 miles square from OK/KS border.

China Wall is mild wheeling wise, with a couple of kindof fun optional obstacles. Fishing might still be pretty good in Tarryall Creek at the end of October, which is right next to the trail.

Saran Wrap I haven't been on, but I have recently run Eagle Rock, which is right next to it. Don't know what your rig is, but Eagle Rock is pretty dug out for anything without 31's or taller, and open-open axles should probably expect to take a strap. We ran it a couple weeks ago with 13 vehciles, and while it was a marathon, it was a good time.

I am probably running Winding Stairs this weekend with some guys from jeepforum.com, so I'll update with my thoughts on that one...

I'm running a RE 4.5 with 32's and LSD's on both ends. We wanted something mild and yet hard enough.
Keep me updated on the winding stairs, that would be a great help.
Any campgorunds around there that are good to go?

saran wrap is a lil more intricate if you will, that eagle rock....

if you know where your gas pedal is youll be alright :)

never done china wall or winding stairs yet, but if you are not from the area you would probably miss the start of Saran Wrap and end up doing Eagle Rock...least a lot do....You wouldnt' have much trouble on Eagle Rock or Saran Wrap though, I did Saran Wrap at night a couple weeks ago...if it snows before ya get up there, stick to Eagle Rock and bring a winch.

China wall has some nice primitive camping sites, it is national forest. There is an improved National Forest campground east of the Eagle Rock trail on Old Stage Road. I'm sure the water will be cut off, but the outhouses might be open.

Fred

It's just primitive camping, although there are firepits that get a lot of use. Bring your own water, or a good filter, and a porta potty.

Fred

I forgot to update after Winding Stairs!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=971294

Fun trail, but far more difficult than Eagle Rock or China Wall - at least one locker and lots of flex recommended (as well as tolerence for tippiness!). Looked like some decent camping at the bottom, particularly this time of year since the mesquitos will be gone (willowy/boggy area near a lake). If there is any weather, I would stay away from winding stairs, as I think it would get wicked slick and dangerous.

There is no "mandatory", I think we've all seen guys get places in under-built rigs with enough throttle -- but Winding Stairs is more of a finesse trail, and you can see by the pics how many times I was lifting a wheel. If I hadn't had a rear locker some of those 2-3 wheel situations could have been sticky...

There is no "mandatory", I think we've all seen guys get places in under-built rigs with enough throttle -- but Winding Stairs is more of a finesse trail, and you can see by the pics how many times I was lifting a wheel. If I hadn't had a rear locker some of those 2-3 wheel situations could have been sticky...

I have wavered on getting a locker, but with all the daily driving I do and the dirt roads all around us, it has helped having the LSD's. I do notice a difference from open diffs. I wonder though how the XJ would do?
It looked like there were some lines that you could by-pass. Does the wheel raising occur because of a line that was chosen over another?
I have noticed that there are many times when a line can be run (not a by-pass), that is not chosen becasue there are some that desire to go to the extreme. Could that be the case on Winding Stairs?
Please dont get me wrong, I am not suggesting a position on your part, but I just wondered?

I have wavered on getting a locker, but with all the daily driving I do and the dirt roads all around us, it has helped having the LSD's. I do notice a difference from open diffs. I wonder though how the XJ would do?
It looked like there were some lines that you could by-pass. Does the wheel raising occur because of a line that was chosen over another?
I have noticed that there are many times when a line can be run (not a by-pass), that is not chosen becasue there are some that desire to go to the extreme. Could that be the case on Winding Stairs?
Please dont get me wrong, I am not suggesting a position on your part, but I just wondered?

no offense taken, I may have taken some less-than ideal lines, and my buddy in the LJ didn't lift a wheel. That said, there were actually very few bypasses, and I don't think a standard rear-leaf vehicle can get through on all four wheels. I have been wheeling for nearly 20 years, and I have never had my wheels off the ground so much! fun stuff!

lol i also didn't use the lockers, until it was time to leave and then i had the rear on all the way up. without some kind of traction aid, locker, limited slip that works, or a winch makes that trail like a roach motel. you may get in but you won't get out.

you didn't lift a wheel either, fooker.

there are some bypasses for some of the obstacles but not for all of them

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

cant help it if the LJ is obviously a superior wheeling vehicle :moon:

While I'm not arguing with you per se, for the sake of an XJ dedicated forum -- I didn't take a strap or winchline either!!:D

While I'm not arguing with you per se, for the sake of an XJ dedicated forum -- I didn't take a strap or winchline either!!:D

Everyone has to lift a wheel to pee.......................

It is all a matter of perspective..........

......you can always say; "I did it with only three wheels and he needed all four!"

Back