• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BBQ dinner thread

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Dinner info will be in this thread.

OK, time to get this stuff rolling!

We will have the meat taken care of.

We need folks to step up big time and help out.

We need tables, BBQ grills, condiments, side dishes, and plates/utensils.

Please post up what you can help out with.

I have access to a 6-foot table I could probably wedge into the XJ. Or I can fess up $20 in condiments etc...

Who's handling the cooking of the carne?

Yes, you're on your own for other meals...I think you'll have friends out there, right? If not, maybe you can link up with friends and everyone brings something.

It's "dry camping" at JV--very dry camping. It's a dry lakebed, with absolutely no facilities. Nearest anything is about 20 miles away in Yucca Valley or Lucerne(?).

Bring your own everything, including water both for washing and for drinking. If you don't have an RV available, there may be a PET toilet set up but I don't know. There are no portapotties, and solid waste disposal is an issue (toilet paper does not decompose well). Do your very best to not leave any waste (food or body) out there.

As far as bringing anything, if you want to, by all means do! If you want to lurk until the last desperate pleas are issued "we really need..." and ride to the rescue, that's cool too. Or just show up and enjoy the heck out of yourself!

If you need to keep in touch with civilization, ask where the "phone bush" is, or watch where the married guys that are out there solo head to in the evening ;). It's the only (relatively) reliable identifiable cell signal source on the lakebed, but beats driving the 4 miles of dirt road back to pavement, where there's also usually signal.

If you need something, feel free to hunt me down. I'll be out there starting Friday, with my dog & possibly a teen or two, and will likely be one of very few women driving their own rigs. Mine's a white '98 two-door with stickers all along the driver's rear window and about 3" of lift (with little tiny 29" tires!).

Carol

Cool, yea, I'll have friends. I've extended trips before, so I'm pretty hooked up for adventures. Toilet will not be an issue (solved that too). Looking forward to seeing you!

I always bring beans. I'll pack a few extra cans :)

Beans, huh? Planning to be an alternate gas source for the evening Sobe' bombs?:passgas: :explosion :flame: :laugh3: :firedevil

But yes, it'll be good to meet face-to face (just stay downwind of me!!).

Carol

Nice... maybe I'll see if I can try a bite or two!

What is still needed? It looks like plenty of people have tables, I will be bringing atleast 2 10 footers. I don't have a portable barbecue but if we need to rent one I can transport it and chip in on the cost or if some one else has one and needs transported I can do that as well. I was planning on getting plates and utensils for 100 (is that enough?). Any thing else needed? I have a big propane turkey fryer I can bring for beans or whatever might need a big pot and burner.

Yes, stuff for 100 should be plenty this year. I always get it at Smart and Final, if you have one by you. Big quantities at a good price.

I posted in the other thread but will post here as well.

I have a big portable grill (full size grill) has 3 burners, can use the grill griddle on two and a huge pot on the third or three pots. Plus two small propane grills.

Also have a 6 ft folding table.

Posted this in the head count thread but:

So far its looking like 75 people or so. This is the number we'll be shooting to feed. So if you havent posted up or prepaid your dinner, better post up before tomorrow at 5PM if you want to eat.

How'd we go from BBQ to POO? I know they kind of rhyme, but reeeeeaaaaaallly... =)

Back