• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab 4/29 - 4/30

LBC970

NAXJA Forum User
After prepping the Jeep for Chinaman Gulch, my wife pointed out that "the desert will be warm" and so suggested we go to Moab for the four day weekend. Who can argue with that?

We drove down Friday afternoon, to quickly learn that people don't show up to Moab Friday afternoon looking for a campsite, especially while the annual car show is going. After an hour or so of searching, a local guy clued us into the "campground" out on Kane Springs Rd. Which turned out perfect, since we were going to run Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners on Saturday.

A few shots from those trails...
IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_20170429_111829626.jpg

IMG_20170429_115855712.jpg

IMG_20170429_120141837.jpg

Not a desert dog, but he still had fun chasing lizards...
IMG_20170429_131357009.jpg

After a very noisy night at camp, (Thanks, neighbors! Great sound system!)

We decided to run 7 Mile Rim trail. Chosen for its rating, as well as the availability of bypasses should I need them. But the rule was "no bypasses". And it went pretty well. Unfortunately, my buddy doesn't take many pictures.

20170430_102626.jpg

20170430_111004.jpg

20170430_112211.jpg

20170430_112324.jpg

20170430_114454.jpg

20170430_115757.jpg

20170430_120009.jpg

20170430_142527.jpg

Overall it was a great trip. We wheeled Saturday and Sunday, and went to Arches on Monday, with a stop at the Moab Giants place after. (Worth the $22/person at least once.)

Excellent trip for the Jeeps shakedown run. The only casualty is a crushed exhaust cross pipe from dropping off a ledge. Otherwise, she ran great. Time for lockers though!

20170430_143239.jpg

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

No bypasses, and no rock stacking were my only two rules. I managed every obstacle EXCEPT that last huge ledge. I wanted to keep my unprotected fuel tank puncture free.

right on. That Sidekick is a hoot.

Looks like a great trip, I'm eager to get back to Moab myself.

Thanks for the inspiration! I did Seven Mile twice last year, once in the snow in Feb. and once in November! I love that trail!

right on. That Sidekick is a hoot.

It's well built. Toyota axles, locked front and rear, full 4 link. It's just a little tippy, he put it on its side the first weekend out. He is a little gun shy now when it comes to side hilling.

Man I wish I lived where I could take a weekend trip to Moab! Green with envy over here in NY! Looks like a great weekend for sure!

I had no idea we lived so close. I always figured 5-6 hours away, it took us only 3 hours with the Dodge, slide in camper, and jeep on a dolly to get there. We will definitely be going back a lot more.

Thanks for the inspiration! I did Seven Mile twice last year, once in the snow in Feb. and once in November! I love that trail!

It's a fun trail. We took some convincing to get through the "tippy spot" on the back side of the buttes. There was a small group of very built Toyotas that turned around at that point. Just looked way tippy.

Looks like a great trip, I'm eager to get back to Moab myself.

We are nearly always down for a Moab trip, we are from Carbondale, which is along I70, so if you (or anyone) heads that way, we would come along. There is a lot to explore out there.

Awesome! What town are you in?

We missed you on Chinamans! :cheers:

Awesome! What town are you in?

We missed you on Chinamans! :cheers:

Carbondale, about 14 miles south of Glenwood Springs, on the way to Aspen.

My wife was pretty convincing. But I'm watching for another run to join!

Yeah man, for sure. The last time I went to Moab I was in my YJ on 1 tons and 40's. The easiest trail we ran was Pritchett and there was a lot of carnage and general ass pain to that trip. Definitely the wrong way to shakedown my rig, lol.

I'd love to go back out there and enjoy the more scenic trails.

Back