• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's crossmember and skids

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
Who all out there is runnings Rusty's drop crossmember and Transfer case skid? What do you think about them? How do you think Rusty't TC skid compares to Skid rows. How about his engine skid compared to Skid Rows??

I ran Rustys engine skid and transfer case skid on the stock crosmember for a few years, they both offered great protection for my need but did have a downside to each:

Engine skid:
was a bitch and a half to get on, had to grind down part of the control arm mount to get it to fit
and since i have a 1990 the mounting bracket made my spedo cable rub the driveshaft

Transfer case skid:

the skid was built to be used with Rustys crosmember (has one inch drop build in), so the back end of the skid hung down farther than the front. it looked weird but didnt effect performance

never had any experience with skid row

i ditched both while planning the new long arm lift since i will be losing the mounting point for both.

I'm running both Rusty's drop crossmember and his t-case skid. Both are hell bent for stout and easy to install, a couple of his best products, IMHO. I welded nuts to the top of the crossmember where the t-case skid attaches and I plan to do the same for the engine skid to make removal and installation easier. I have his engine skid too, but I'm waiting till I finish with my front axel before I install it. From what I've heard it's not the easiest to install and you'll want to install a quick drain adapter to your oil drain plug to assist in future oil changes, Rusty also sells the oil drain adapter too. The engine skid is very heavy duty, typical of Rusty's products, and should do a good job of protecting the oil pan and exhaust cross-pipe once it's made to fit. Good Luck.

Woody

I run both on a stock cross member. The only trouble I had was, they are suppose to meet in the middle, then you drill thru the cross member to bolt them up. Mine lined up where I would have drilled right thru the tranfer case mount/bushing. Not good. So I had some outrigger plates welded to the crossmember & anchored it further back. They are both stout 3/16" The T-case skid does hang down a little, but it even cover most of my Cat.

ive got the engine skid... the controll arm wasnt that big of a deal... i just took channel locks and bent the mount outward to accomadate the skid bracket.... its stout... and i plan on using it this weekend....

I also run Rustys t-case skid plate and crossmember. I have no vibrations with a 3" lift due to the built in drop. I installed them after turning my stock crossmember into a 'W' shape at the end of Hells Revenge. Both are strong and show no damage after a lot of impacts. I know Rustys suspension products come under a lot of criticism but his line of armor seems strong and well made.

Back