• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cool video of an Isuzu VehiCorss on Hell's Gate

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
This is from a local board. Very cool video. I have only seen one in person, let alone one offroad.

Info on the rig:

215 hp, 4speed auto tranny, 4 link rear suspension w/ GM 12 bolt LSD, 10 bolt IFS (yeck) front, KBY external resivoir shocks from the factory.
Bob has added custom front bumper, rock sliders, 31 inch tires, 3 inch lift (OME springs rear, torsion bar tweak in front), super charger (about 50hp gain), PowerVault exhaust (12hp gain), ARB lockers...

http://www.planetbantz.com/vid/zuzoo7/grampa_hellsgate.wmv

Hope you enjoy it.

Fergie

Thats a scary ride without a solid front axle. All that money in motor, maybe he needs to spend it elsewhere :wierd:

sounds like alot of $$ into a suspension that doesnt seem to articulate more than 3".... never see any of those rigs around.. probably for a reason...

Damn, I thought you had footage of it on Hell's Gate in Johnson Valley......that would be interesting.

Hell's Gate in Moab is supposed to be closed, when was that footage taken?

Goatman said:
Damn, I thought you had footage of it on Hell's Gate in Johnson Valley......that would be interesting.

Hey Rich, it's only closed during the EJS.

Goatman said:

No clue when it was as I just copied it from another site.

I guess the driver is some 75 year old named "Grandpa Bob".

Fergie

Hey give the guy some credit, at least he wheels his. That's more than 90% of the guys on this board can say. :wave:

Ok guys you need to watch this again...Only this time...as you are watching the spotter, think the song YMCA by the village people. Tell me whatcha think then.
Oh yeah we have a local guy here that wheels one. It does pretty good. I think he has one...if not two lockers and a little lift.

Why is everyone ripping on that guy? That is some pretty sweet driving. There is more like 8" of travel, and wheels on the ground obviously didn't matter. IFS behaves well on the HWY and great on fast rough stuff. If you have traction the flex is not nearly as important as people say, its for posers. Anyhow I must be one of the few people who think that thing looks decent. Its no Range Rover, but it isn't an azz-tek either. Remember, this is based on the Isuzu Trooper, which is really no slouch off-road.

DrMoab said:
Ok guys you need to watch this again...Only this time...as you are watching the spotter, think the song YMCA by the village people. Tell me whatcha think then.

LOL am i the only one that really did this?? That stuff makes me feel so pathetic w/ the trails i use around here in CT...Can a 00 xj w/ a 3.5" RE lift do that stuff?

JeepXJ93 said:
Can a 00 xj w/ a 3.5" RE lift do that stuff?

i dont see why not....

and by watching that video again i still say he doesnt have 8" of flex.. when he lifts a tire the opposite hardly compresses, thats why the tire lifted in the first place... articulation is NOT over-rated, it keeps all 4 on the ground where they should be.. you didnt see how unstable it was when he lifted the front the first time?? fast weight transfer is a killer.. if he is comfortable with how his rig handles so be it.. but i think it shows that those vehicles have some short-comings as off road rigs and the lockers are just compensation.. i don't like it, thats why i didnt build it.. kudos to the owner for doing his own kind of rig and wheeling it where alot of ******s would never venture..

its still ugly..

two impressions:
that thing has almost no articulation. The swar bars must be snugged up reallly tight.
Second, the spotters were having him drive way too far to the driver's left and that contributes to the wheelies. Looks spectacular tho!
Thank goodness for XJs

Back