• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place to mount a shovel?

probably build a roof rack with a clamp for a shovel, or get one of the smaller collapsable ones and mount it to the back of the rear seat.

if you want to use the factory rack, get 4 "U" bolts that fit the handle and run some 1/8" strap between a pair and around the rack rail, using both rails to go back along the roof. Even easier is 2 U bolts and mount it to a single rail going across the roof.

Or mount it to a tool box on the inside, strap it to the spare, get a folding one or mount it on the bumper. Really getto, mount it to the hood to block even more of line of sight.

91 Jeep Project said:
Standard Army issue folding shovel, under the rear seat..............:cool:

That's what I have too. If you mount a full size shovel on the outside, you'll look like a gardener. :)

xjohnnyc said:
That's what I have too. If you mount a full size shovel on the outside, you'll look like a gardener. :)
I would rather look like a gardener the try do dig my rig out of the sand, snow, or mud with a midget pos shovel. been ther done that dont care to do it again. just my .02

Calm down Frances... just joking around.

falcon1235 said:
I would rather look like a gardener the try do dig my rig out of the sand, snow, or mud with a midget pos shovel. been ther done that dont care to do it again. just my .02

Then don't get stuck. One the off chance that I actually need to use the shovel, I'll live with having to do a little more work rather then carry around a 4 foot shovel 24/7.

falcon1235 said:
I'd agree, I am constantly on an offroad beach during the summer and whether its to dig other people out (Since I work there, and you just need a 4wheel drive vehicle to get out there, offroad driving knowledge is not required, or half the time used) or when I'm relaxing and digging the fire pit, those tiny folding ones wont cut it. I carry around a 3-4 foot one and I have it in my back hatch on top of my cargo box between my tire and seat.

I carry a fullsize shovel on my Surco. Does come in handy

BOOTLEGGER said:
Walmart has a Jr sized one that I have under the bench seat 24/7
that is what i was talking about, is it one with the plastic horizontal handle? its a great idea, there when you need it, out of the way and not visible when you dont.

No pics but I can try to get one, don't know if I can post it anyone want to help?
Also have the following under the bench seat:
25' tow strap
tree saver strap
first aid kit
folding lug nut wrench
orig jack (high lift is mounted behind the seat)
a couple emergency tools
Jr shovel

Back