• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Corrosion free shovel and axe, where?

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been looking for a shovel and axe that I can strap onto my roof rack and forget without it becoming a rusting hunk of steel and rotted wood. I would like a stainless or titanium model with a composite handle. Anyone ever see such a tool?

XJguy

XJguy said:
Ive been looking for a shovel and axe that I can strap onto my roof rack and forget without it becoming a rusting hunk of steel and rotted wood. I would like a stainless or titanium model with a composite handle. Anyone ever see such a tool?

Why are you trying to complicate things? get a plain ol' shovel and axe or the max tool and slap some grease on that..... I dive (or at least used to) and the way we protected the knives was to put some sort of grease or lubricant on them before and after.... and one time, while on the trip, when noone brought any, we used butter we took from the restaurant we had breakfast in..... same principle idea: grease/fat prevents rusts......

On the other hand... a bit of surface rust on a shovel never hurt anyone :)

I'm a tanker for the army, and what we use for our pioneer tools is just plain old paint.

We actually call it P.O.R. (paint over rust) or P.O.D. (Paint over Dirt)
I really don't think anyone will care what they look like, but oh well to each his own.

If you are really worried about getting your tools rusty or dirty you can doone of the following:

Keep them inside your Jeep

Keep them at home

Borrow someone elses tools

Not a slam, just an observation

John

this max axe looks like it will do most anything but pay for itself!

simpler_1767_4823

http://www.simplerlife.com/maxaxe7inone1.html

John-Boy said:
I'm a tanker for the army, and what we use for our pioneer tools is just plain old paint.

We actually call it P.O.R. (paint over rust) or P.O.D. (Paint over Dirt)
I really don't think anyone will care what they look like, but oh well to each his own.

If you are really worried about getting your tools rusty or dirty you can doone of the following:

Keep them inside your Jeep

Keep them at home

Borrow someone elses tools

Not a slam, just an observation

John

You said it, Armor.

I carry three 'brute' tools:

A Snap-On SPB36 Pry Bar (36" lg)

A Bush Axe (the thick non-replacable blade kind, not the thin 'sheetmetal' blade kind)
-As it comes is worthless, file the inner & outter blades sharp!

And a Ditching Spade (has a 6" x 18" approx blade)

As far as corrosion resistance...I think Gerber makes different sized axes in composite/stainless steel, US Mil Spec Entrenching tools are compact and aluminum construction... Glock also makes E-Tools for the Austrian Mil...unclear on their construction

<EDIT: Gerber axes have carbon steel heads & 'glass handles...see cabelas.com>

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
He's ALIVE!!!!!! So Hagen.... for how long have you been back in Germany and lurking here and not saying anything??

I´m back since end of Oct and thats when I ran into the law...................just kidding.
I was just busy and distracted by other things so I didnt even lurk a lot. Looks like everything is all right on your end?!?

You will see me more often around here from now on, because I will now start on two new projects:
- the ARB voucher I won in Moabhttp://www.naxja.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=126022#
- I will need wheeling partners in the time from 3/28 to 4/10 in the area between Phoenix (start) and Denver (end of trip)

All the best
Hagen
Naxja member#168

BAck to axes and shovels....

I was in Home Depot the other day and saw a neat Estwing axe, sort of a cross between an axe and a hatchet, that looked like a nice size for emergency and camping work. It's all steel like the classic Estwing hammers. It isn't corrosion proof, but it's small enough to keep inside.

For the shovel, I'd get a cheap spade and paint it. It will last a long time, and if it rots, just get another. Then you won't have to worry about theft, loss, borrowing, etc.

Back