• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! No clutch. No wheelin. No happiness.

eddiedatorch

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, Thank you all for the wealth of information and knowledge on this site. Second sorry if this thread has been posted before, I snooped around couldn't find one like it.

XJ: 85 cherokee, 5 speed 2.8 v6

Problem : Replaced Clutch with new clutch kit

New problem: Installed tranny, button up nicely, no clutch peddle,
Ran Vacuume brake bleeder, got most of the air out.
Still no peddle, tried and tried pumping, no peddle
replace slave amd master clutch cylinder. some peddle
but not enough to engage clutch....I'm stumped, I've checked for breaks in the line nothing, double checked the slave rod position, nothing....I need to wheel, help.

I had a problrm like this along time ago. It turned out to be the bracket at the top of the clutch pedal, where the linkage connects, was bending back and forth as I pressed on the clutch. The only reason I finally found it was it finally broke off. It was welded back on and it was fine ever since. Take a look, you never know.
Good luck
Tim

Did u put the o rings back in the new slave when u replaced it. It sounds lime ure not getting pressure..

Just curious, did You R&R the TO bearing?

To Wiser, the new slave cylinder had no o-rings just a boot.

To Paul, R&R, :confused1 no idea what that mean, just guessing replaced? Yes a new came with the clutch kit

what clutch kit? and where did you get it? my son just had to replace his 3 times. bought a kit, installed no clutch, second the same took back and got a better kit, LUK from NAPA with the Throw out bearing with the lines attached, no O rings to replace, no problems since.

To Paul, R&R, :confused1 no idea what that mean, just guessing replaced? Yes a new came with the clutch kit

Did u transfer them over to the new slave??

Did u transfer them over to the new slave??

External Slave, so no o rings.
Replaced with new TO bearing
Yes did all three, gavity, vacuume and pump different times of course

Do you think it might be a bad clutch, I purchased it at carquest?

WAS the flywheel resurfaced? The clutch system in the XJ is notorious for failing if too much material has been removed from the flywheel.

I'm about to have my flywheel turned what would be minimum. Hopefully i'm over that

I'm about to have my flywheel turned what would be minimum. Hopefully i'm over that

Yeah, essentially what the FSM says IF the flywheel needs to be resurfaced, you are to replace it.

It does, however, say that if it just needs to be cleaned up you can take off .003" to .006". That isn't much.

Some on here have reported luck with having theirs resurfaced, others have reported after resurfacing no good clutch, and others have resurfaced and then lost their clutch after some miles.

Three options: new flywheel; larger-diameter bore clutch MC (Howe racing); longer DIY rod for the slave.

On such old vehicles, when you have no clue as to the clutch's history, it is a crap-shoot because you never know if the flywheel has been turned prior.

Good luck.

Back