• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M+S vs 3PMSF tires in Cali

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just bought a set of General Grabber ATX's. One thing I like about them is they have the 3 Peak Snowflake rating which will be good for trips to Mammoth and Big Bear. My research tells me that 3PMSF tires are better/more stringently tested than M+S tires for snow performance.

However looking at CalTrans it looks like they only define "Snow Tires" as "M+S" tires:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/mtce/tireschains.htm

I am guessing their website is just behind the times, but I also know they can be super anal when it comes to tire/chains, especially on the drive up to Mammoth. It really would suck to drive all the way up to Mammoth and encounter that one CHP officer who doesn't know what 3PMSF is and only allows tires with "M+S" letters.

Anyone have any experience with the CHP and how they handle this, anyone ever get turned around because they have 3PMSF vs M+S tires? I know there are a ton of people who DGAF and drive on regular tires and get away with it but Im more interested in how they handle 3PMSF tires.

Its been my experience they all know and look for 3 peaks.

M+S does not actually have any testing and certification behind it, where 3 peaks has actual performance tests to earn. My 14 ply truck tires are M+S but are unsafe on a slightly wet road. ;)

At the end of the day though most CHP look and i you look 4 wheel drive ish with a big tire, they assume you're good as long as you carry chains.

Going off of what Cal just posted i go to big bear maybe 5 or 6 times in the winter. I have a lifted xj on 35" goodyear mtr and an f150 with a level kit on 33" goodyear duratrac's. They always just wave me by at the chain checkpoints even in R2 ratings. So i never actually stop.

Going off of what Cal just posted i go to big bear maybe 5 or 6 times in the winter. I have a lifted xj on 35" goodyear mtr and an f150 with a level kit on 33" goodyear duratrac's. They always just wave me by at the chain checkpoints even in R2 ratings. So i never actually stop.

They stopped me on 37" MT/Rs and asked if I had chains, I of course said yes, as I had the chains for my civic in the back. Also it was caltrans running the checkpoint that day.

They stopped me on 37" MT/Rs and asked if I had chains, I of course said yes, as I had the chains for my civic in the back. Also it was caltrans running the checkpoint that day.

also i was on that same route that you took and passed through that same checkpoint in my xj on 35's. He just waved me by but i did have chains for 35's in my possession. they didn't ask.

So, the consensus seems to be: have chains, never get asked to use them?

David Bricker / SYR

P.S. I know this wasn't the question, but it struck me as humorous. By the way, I do have chains for Gomer. They're in the container in Death Valley. :gee:

David Bricker / SYR

P.S. I know this wasn't the question, but it struck me as humorous. By the way, I do have chains for Gomer. They're in the container in Death Valley. :gee:

For all of that snow they get in death valley?

David Bricker / SYR

As long as you are prepared for the problem you won't have the problem.

It will be something else.

Fundamental life rule. Parallels Murphy's Law.

Are you absolutely sure that there isn’t an “M+S” or “MS” or “M-S” symbol stamped next to the mountain snowflake mark on the tires? Based on some quick Google research, I think it should be there.

This image, lifted off the interwebs, shows the M+S symbol alongside the mountain snowflake symbol on a Grabber ATX tire.

7cc5a4f20b9dec00e7bc795876ec7e4d.jpg

Sadly I've had the opposite experiences with chain control. I have been turned around in a Cherokee on 35s and lockers when there was 2 inches of fresh powder. I had chains, but was unwilling to install them on the spot.

Sadly I've had the opposite experiences with chain control. I have been turned around in a Cherokee on 35s and lockers when there was 2 inches of fresh powder. I had chains, but was unwilling to install them on the spot.
Yeah that is why I asked. They can be very strict/picky about things going up to Mammoth and Bear, they got a bunch of bad LA drivers who can't drive in the rain let alone the snow. Whether or not you or I are actually one of those people doesn't matter to them.

Sounds like if you had M+S tires they should have let you go unless it was R3 but I thought they generally closed the roads before it gets to R3.

Back