• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem with rear pinion yoke

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the rear pinion yoke one my 91 XJ with d35c rear. On a test drive, I got a grinding sound coming out of the rear end. Back in the garage I pull the rear diff cover, the pinion has ground against the carrier. This leads me to two questions.
Do all D35c have the same rear pinion yoke? (mine is a 91 the donor yoke was on an 85) a shorter yoke wouldn't pull the pinion as far forward as the nut was tightened.
Or did I miss a step in installing the yoke that could have let the pinion catch on the ring gear and have the nut reach torque before the pinion was pulled all the way forward? And if you think this is the case, what are the steps to replacing the read pinion yoke?

Thanks to all

Daryl

I believe the D35 is a "crush sleeve" pinion(Ive only done D30's,44's,and 8.25's).If thats the case then there is "no" preset torque value,the pinion preload is the only "real" value.I had a similar problem when I tried to re-use the "crush-sleeve" on my 8.25",it made it about 10 miles before "backing off".I know that alot of manuals(8.8 included) that reference counting turns,but it may not be perfect!

RCP Phx, you've gone over my head. Which may have been my problem in the first place, I didn't know what I was getting into.

I broke the rear pinion yoke on my d35c and took the nut off and tapped the yoke off. I replaced it with a yoke from an 85's rear end. Where does this "crush sleeve" come in. and what do I need to do the get my pinion gear moved away from my gear carrier?

Thanks again

Daryl

The crush sleeve is inboard of the pinion yoke.

I'm a poster child for exactly this situation. I replaced the yoke on my Chrysler 8.25 16 months ago. It finally started howling 3 weeks ago, and it got new gears yesterday. It finally dawned on me what was happening, and I got almost a quarter turn on the pinion nut pretty easily. Before the new gears were installed, the pinion preload was 50 in./lbs. (factory is 10-20) and ring gear backlash was 20 to 30 thousandths and not consistent around rotation (spec is 5 to 8.) The contact pattern also wasn't consistent, but was moved up near the top of the teeth, on the inside near the toe.

I must have not gotten the pinion nut tightened enough when I replaced the yoke, overtightened it, or the pinion nut backed off. In any event, the pinion wasn't located right, and eventually took out my diff.

ChiXJeff

Back