• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New toy/DD

ClarkPeach

NAXJA Forum User
bikeym.jpg

Picked up this '97 YZF600R about a month ago for all of $1000 (it was originally blue/white, but I like flat black better). Best part is, it came with maintenance records dating back to '01 with a tune-up, coolant flush, carb sync. and new tires done 4k ago. It was laid down on the right side, but all the damage is cosmetic.

Already done a few free mods (removed exhaust baffle, DIY rear fender delete, blind spot mirrors, clock...) and ordered some new goodies for it, including a pretty new FULL set of fairings in a tasty new color. :)

y609707024a.jpg

I just couldn't afford to pay the $150+/week in gas and oil for the DD XJ that only got 11mpg (all stock), so I felt a bike that gets 55mpg and only costs $15-$20/week was a better choice.

Thanks guys. I always wear back armor, armored gloves, and a full face helmet. Never thought it would happen, but my neck is still sore after riding simply from looking around so much. :laugh3:

I almost bought that bike , it was blue with white lettering but they had it listed for 2900.00 , bastards wouldn't budge on the price so I let it go .
Don't know how the hell you got them down to a 1000 , that bike was pretty clean .
Also worth waaaay more than 1k .

Good steal that ain't no deal .

Yeah, it was blue/white. They wouldn't haggle at all (not to say that I didn't try), it was listed at 1000 on craigslist, and I just happened to see it 5 min after they listed it. :)

I am very pleased with its performance so far. Picked up new front and rear sprockets (-1 tooth in front), chain, and brake pads front/rear that will all be going on as soon as the fairings get in...

Last edited:
Been a while since I updated this... Here's what's been done in the past few months..

- Put on some Pro-taper dirtbike bars, as the factory clip-ons hurt my wrists too much.

- No-name bar end mirrors (riding in COS with no mirrors is scary shit!)

- New Galfer pads installed front/rear and both systems flushed

- New Vortex front/rear sprockets (went down a tooth in front) with new RK gold x-ring chain

- Dominator double H4 headlights

- '03-05 CBR600RR integrated LED tail light (not installed yet)

- Swingarm and rims painted low gloss black

- Exhaust heat wrapped (gold)

- Gold "shorty" clutch/brake levers (not installed yet)

- Rear hugger removed

- Front fender trimmed for more of a street fighter look

- Pirelli Diablo supercorsa race take-off tires (120front/180rear), got them for $120 with < 50 miles on them and they will stick to anything! still playing with pressures a bit though...

Things to get done before fall/winter as of now are to paint the rest of the frame low gloss black, bolt on an '09 R6 rear shock and have suspension professionally set up for me, change fork and engine oils, wire in a '99-'02 R6 gauge cluster, and get the bodywork done professionally. Everything will be redone in the same pearl green color (tail/tank/front fender/belly) but having the tail shaved and sides cut and fab'd into a belly pan. Got the quote for the body work and it kind of put me aback.. it's going to cost me more than I paid for the bike!

Anyway.. Here's an up-to-date pic.

dsc0029uj.jpg

Last edited:
New smoked cbr600rr tail light hooked up. Mounts flush with the body plastics and looks/performs awesome. Just need some resistors so the turn signals don't do the crack flash dance.

cbrtail1.jpg

cbrtail2.jpg

Back