• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does your XJ sound like?

I was playing the other day with a microphone at work and decided to record the exhaust note of my Jeep. I would like to hear others exhausts if they have them recorded... i would have liked to find something like this when I was testing the waters in what exhaust to buy. The list of my parts are in my signature... here's the link to my exhaust.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/417fb9d7_289c/bc/Audio+Clips/2000++XJ+Exhaust-Long+Quieter.wav?bf8dAgBB49KRVBAi

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/417fb9d7_289c/bc/Audio+Clips/2000+Jeep+XJ+Exhaust-short+lou.wav?bf8dAgBBtRMOkax3

dothedew24_7 said:
that sounds AWESOME :thumbup: :thumbup:

I gotta admit, I like that as well. Does it drone or resonate in the cab at all?

that sounds great, It sounds similar to my 50 series with 2.5" pipes and magnaflow cat, but when I rev mine up and let off the gas it pops a little bit, it did that with the stock exhaust too. Maybe yours doesn't because you have a header? I still have my stock manifold.

Well, for the cab noise... It's actually rather quiet, when i get a chance i'll try and get a Decibel reading but that probably won't be for a while. As for the popping, i'm not sure what causes that exactly, but i would imagine it has to do with the baffles inside the muffler.(just a guess)
Thinking back...I forgot to mention that i have about 150 sq.ft. of sound dampening material in my jeep, so im sure that makes up for some of the reason it is so quiet in the cab.

i wish i had a microphone, so i could show you what these sound like:
borla headers
carsound cat
flowmaster 40
2.5" mandrel bent tailpipe....

but yours sounds good, too

where did you have the mic. when i fix the hole in my exhaust i will try and record it and see if it sounds like ass and if it doesnt i will put it on here

JeepinAudiophile said:
...I forgot to mention that i have about 150 sq.ft. of sound dampening material in my jeep, so im sure that makes up for some of the reason it is so quiet in the cab.
Mind sharing type of material, source, where did you place it, install issues???
TIA

Cascade VB-2HD...(I buy the Bulk packs @ 54sq.ft. each) This is what I do... i'm a car stereo and electronics installer...I put it EVERYWHERE...Heat it with a heat gun before putting it on the body... get it really hot, then use a roller to roll it out, and a small towel that is damp to help smooth it out with your hand in grooves and irregular places, use the towel because you want to heat up the aluminum side as you smooth it out realloy really hot, you cannot touch it with your hand. Also, use acetone on all surfaces that you asre going to adhere the material to before you go to lay it down. This will allow the best possible adhesion. I have it on the whole floor(2 layers on transmission hump and firewall), roof, door panels(inside sheetmetal and body sheetmetal), rear hatch.... i literally put it just about anywhere i could reach and/or see. i plan on going back and adding a second layer to the roof and cargo area.

JeepinAudiophile said:
As for the popping, i'm not sure what causes that exactly, but i would imagine it has to do with the baffles inside the muffler.(just a guess)

Well, popping in exhaust is usually from a leak or source of air in the pipes. Basically the extra air allows the unburnt fuel in the exhaust mixture to ignite. Firing thru the carb is timing. Note this is not 100% but does usually point the right direction.

Sarge

all that sound deadening help out with insulation, and once more where was the mic when you recorded. thanks

Ramsey said:
all that sound deadening help out with insulation, and once more where was the mic when you recorded. thanks
yeah it doeshelp with insulation- got mine covered in the arch-nemises of cascade- dynamat extreme, both work very well

im sure it helps with insulation... but not something i have tried to record or anything... sorry, i forgot about the mic question.... i had it about 10" off the ground, and slightly to the side of my tip. My first recording had the mic too close, and all i heard was loud sounds from the air rushing past the mic. So basically it was about 8" away from the tip, and just about directly perpendicular the the exhaust exiting.

Back