• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help a brutha out. good rigs? comfy/reliable

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
Help educate me here guys, going to be in the rig market here soon and it most likely will not be an xj. :speepin:
My xj leaked like crazy/ and EVERYONE has one. Not trying to bring down the xj's as they are very versatile vehicles with an amazing aftermarket/local support.

My criteria for my next rig is something somewhat unique that won't kill back/ears for long trips. I plan on taking more "expedition" type trails than the crazy brake you're rig carnage/penrose trails.
lol, old stage would be the level of trail that would shake the rig down when I want to do a fun trail.
Due to my lack of mechanical knowledge I can be honest with myself and say I will not be self sufficient enough for a bad ass crawling rig. Also, I am not interested in buying a tow rig

I am looking into landcruisers fj80's (sweet/but kinda pricey) I love the factory locker and toyota reliability/ start at 4k from what im seeing. Pretty much on the top of my list.

Next are the landrovers, whats the deal with these things. Stock electric locker is pretty cool. these are only like 3k....sweet/ but how are the stock diffs for 33's? how reliable/expensive are these? What models are the "good ones" if any? Seem like a decent choice, just not interested in air ride suspension if it comes with it.... Please educate me on this make.

possibly a zj.... IF I find a built model well cared on the cheep(kinda bottom of the list)

Any other idea's here for a nice rig here would be appreciated!

No sami, 4runner, xj, big old chevy. Im looking for seating for 4 with room to spare- leather would be nice- factory electric locker is real nice too.
No carb's/starting price of 4k is about where im looking...
Thanks in advance!
Anthony

You can't go wrong with the FJ80 for an expedition rig. Tough and reliable out of the box. Pure beef and tons of aftermarket support. I ran a FJ80 third member in my Yota truggy on 39's and never had any issues.

Im finding dicoveries for like 2500-3000 with almost half as many miles as the fj's though..

Whats up with the landrovers?

If they weren't made by ford, they are even more unreliabe than jeeps. Not to mention underpowered.

I'd look at Xterra's, they wheel well.

Rover parts are real pricey and not much in the way of a aftermarket.If it breaks in some small town in the middle of nowhere not much chance of gettin a part that you need.Look around for a wj with lo miles , good mileage and reliable ,pretty good aftermarket ' and parts availability

My uncle is a master tech at Land Rover South. He makes a VERY good living and never has any down time at work...... if that tells ya anything. If not, then take heed at his statement "I'll get paid to work on 'em all day long....... but I'd never own one."

Guess what his vehicle preference is? Jeep Cherokee....... :laugh:

:D

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2180178174.html

$4000 '92 Toyota Land Cruiser......

3nc3k23p75T25Z15P1b1p31f20167bdbe173a.jpg

$4000 '94 'Cruiser

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2249404596.html

3na3k93lb5V25Q15S5b3519a3284e768b1f6e.jpg

And another......

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2247224435.html

3n43m33o55O25V45S3b349a47eb02afcc14d6.jpg

Last edited:
I'd get a K5 for sure.

I've been getting into the exploring side of things more too, if I didn't like my Jeep so much I'd have a K5 by now.

Lots of room, super simple to fit 33-35's, V8...

it's looking like the landcruiser will be a better personaly fit. My family has had pretty good luck with the yota's- I would like to bing 5-6 people along and with room for 7 it's pretty perfect. Looks like I need about 4grand!!!
The discoveries are pretty hit or miss, matter of fact I posted on the local LR board/ no answer on reliability- googed my question and found an ignored thread JUST LIKE MINE! After more homework I pretty much found these discoveries are lemons all around.For peace of mind the land cruiser is the current choice of prefference.

I'll second the "do not buy a rover" sentiment above -- I had a friend with a discovery and he LOVED that rig, at least he loved it the 2 weeks a month he got to drive it when it wasn't in the shop...

I looked at FZJ80's when I was WJ shopping, and if they didn't all have the fairly underpowered 4.5L straight six, and if I wasn't going to tow, I'd own one. That said, I wouldn't get too worked up about the factory locker if your "expeditions" will be on old stage type terrain. ;)

Last time I went to old stage the trail was soo washed out that lockers would be needed on the tougher section of the trail. Lets just say front/rear lockers on 35's needed to wonch out on a certain spot of the trail(ya, it sucked!)

Looks like 93-94 are the "sweet-spot" for the money/ but there are allot of these out there!!! Awsome

check out www.ih8mud.com for lots of toyota/LC info. Good site. Local guy in Monument - "Nay" was a longtime naxja guy before he became an FJ owner, and can provide you a bunch of info. You see him around town sometimes in his electric green rattle-canned FZJ80 on 35's. :thumbup:

Back