• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal multi switch thing

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So yeah, looked around, found lots of turn signal switch questions, but no one with the same issue I do... Well, I decided to hop into my rig about 20 min ago, and my shorts got caught on the switch... I didnt notice.. until I tried to hit the clutch and snapped it clean off. I know its a PITA to replace, but I hope someone here might have some insight as to a simpler way to do it, or the simplest way to do it I should say. I am hoping I dont have to tear out my entire center steering column, or for that matter replace the whole column. It is the turn signal switch lever with the wiper controls and all. I am making a run to the junkyard tomorrow so any input would be amazing. For once I went a wkend w/o having to drop $200+ into the Jeep for parts and then Sat night I go and make something like this, leave it to me.

I am going to go through the Haynes to see if they say anything about it, but I figured I would ask here too as I have found some good information here that they didnt provide.

Thanks
-Scott

anyone minus tommyr for any respsonses or should I do a bit of a writeup on this? I will attempt to take pics along the way, at least with my phone, so they may not be great, but they will be there. I will do a writeup if no one gets back. Last attempt to do a writeup was killed by a post while I was in the middle of it, so hopeully this time around I can get someone telling me a thread where I was beat to it, but oh well..

(PS, this was to get it back to the top of new forums, hoping I get something... lol)

Though I will do a writeup if I get the time.. At least Just someone give me a proper name for the end resullt, so when people seach for a simiar topic they get the thred... (aka, if you cant help with the work, what should I name the thread so it gets the right seaches when I do a writeup)

tommyr said:
Year might help......

No, seriously. The year might help.

themangeraaad said:
so any input would be amazing
Apparantly not.

I had a 90 that had a column that looked an awful lot like a GM column & never did any work on it.
I have a 2001 that I did that exact job in and is a Chryco type column.

I would imagine there are a few differences between the years and I didn't want to bore you with the details for the wrong kind of column.
Apparantly you want to do a write up and are not looking for help...
Knock your socks off....:mad:

themangeraaad said:
So yeah, looked around, found lots of turn signal switch questions, but no one with the same issue I do... Well, I decided to hop into my rig about 20 min ago, and my shorts got caught on the switch... I didnt notice.. until I tried to hit the clutch and snapped it clean off. I know its a PITA to replace, but I hope someone here might have some insight as to a simpler way to do it, or the simplest way to do it I should say. I am hoping I dont have to tear out my entire center steering column, or for that matter replace the whole column. It is the turn signal switch lever with the wiper controls and all. I am making a run to the junkyard tomorrow so any input would be amazing. For once I went a wkend w/o having to drop $200+ into the Jeep for parts and then Sat night I go and make something like this, leave it to me.

I am going to go through the Haynes to see if they say anything about it, but I figured I would ask here too as I have found some good information here that they didnt provide.

Thanks
-Scott

Scott, still trying to get clear in my mind as to how one could pull this off.......but the point remains that the steering columns/blinker arms differ on XJ's from Renix/AMC days (2 keys, 1 for door, 1 for ignition=GM style column) to Chrysler's 1 key for door and ignition, of which there are two versions, 98-2001 columns use the same blinker module as the TJ's. The 98+ blinker modules are simple to replace and all you need is a screw driver and about 20 minutes of free time. The earlier years are going to be more time consuming and require column disassembly.

Details matter, folks are trying to help you out with your wardrobe malfunction/blinker arm incident.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry y'all. I didnt really read your comment tommyr, or well, more I misread it.. I was kinda running past the computer on my way out hte door.. lol.. my bad. yeah, well, i was pissed last night cause of this and a bunch of other stuff, but anyway.. I gotta say, i appologise tommy, my bad, Im usually not short on time like that... so if anyone is still out there and around.. its a 93 XJ.

Last edited:
Ok, that shouldn't be too much worse than my 92XJ. Will take about 15 minutes and is not a bad job. No need to take apart the column. I tried this trick a few weeks ago and works like a charm.

What you need: * replacement lever; * screwdriver; * some thin wire (fishing line is fine)

What you do:

1) unscrew the lower dash cover (not even sure if you need to do this really, but it makes things easier)

2) follow the wire coming out of the column going down and find the connector

3) disconnect

4) tie your fishing line/wire to the lever wire

5) pop out the lever on top and carefully pull the wire up (make sure your other wire comes up with it)

6) untie wires, connect your line to the connector of the new lever and reverse operation (pull bottom end :))

7) re-connect connector, pop-in lever....done.

See if this helps.

got same issue with a 94xj... just wondering if the fix would be the same.... the only part that broke was a metal rod that twists in the column, it controls the wiper speed, the signals themselves still work but the shaft for the speed of the wipers snapped at the base (inside the steering column)....

just need to know if the removal is as easy as the 92-93 setup that was described above, luckily the turn signals still work, just falls out every once in a while, i need to fix before it rains or i'm effed....

thanks...

oh yeah, 94 xj i6 5 spd no cruise control... will try to post pic if possible.

well, ill tell ya what I had to do... it is just as easy, only problem is that, well, the piece you have to pull out is in the column. Now, I went and tore my column apart anyway, only to get it out w/o having to do any disassembly. Oh well. What I had to do was drill out a hole in the center of the metal peice thats stuck in there (i had the same exact problem as you, just mine woudlnt stay in at all). Once I had drilled a hole half way (or so) through that, I threaded a screw into it, screwed it in as much as possible, and used that to pry the remainder of the metal piece out. The piece you need you can get from a pull yard for dirt cheap (or it should be cheap at least) and it just pulls our and will simply push into yours when you go to install it after getting the metal piece out. It should be the same up through about 96, so yes, yours should be almost exactly the same if not exactly. But thats what I ended up doing.. I tore the column apart and then ended up doing it that way cause I got mad and it was 99 out and humid and i was sick of workin at it... for once that method worked.

... i did that to my 1990 olds. cutlass about 4 or so years ago now and i just took a tube of krazy glue to it and it held till i sold it last june and it actualy took quite a beating never let go and it even had the cruise control thing on it so it was used and abused quite a bit. dont know if thats going to help you any just my .02

The GM columns are a pain to pull apart past the multi-lever. To replace the lever its not hard to pull the column down that far. I've seen a couple write ups on it. If your column has the wobbling problem also I have found it is easier to just replace the column then to fix the problem correctly.

Back