• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with turn signal switch?

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 99' any one have any problems with the turnsignal switch? I can use the left signal (holding it down slightly) but if I go try a full left (where the switch holds it down) it is very faint. I dont have any right signals at all and I swear I can hear something that sounds like a short when I do that! (light buzzing sounding stuff)

the high beams work fine-

edit: I almost forgot if I put on the hazzard lights it blows a small fuse under the hood. (like a 15a)

thoughts, ideas? all lights work, I have no broken or missing bulbs.

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
I've got a 99' any one have any problems with the turnsignal switch? I can use the left signal (holding it down slightly) but if I go try a full left (where the switch holds it down) it is very faint. I dont have any right signals at all and I swear I can hear something that sounds like a short when I do that! (light buzzing sounding stuff)

the high beams work fine-

edit: I almost forgot if I put on the hazzard lights it blows a small fuse under the hood. (like a 15a)

thoughts, ideas? all lights work, I have no broken or missing bulbs.

L.R.
If you have a schematic, you can try to probe the pins of the turn signal switch connector for continuity and/or shorts. The connector is under the knee brace panel below the steering column.

It sort of sounds like a switch/connector problem, but a little testing with a VOM would confirm that.

If you are "electrically challenged", I encourage you to find a friend who has some skill with a volt-ohm-meter, and knows how to read schematics. I can email you the schematic from the 2000FSM if you tell me your address

i would, its up behind the kick panel below the steering wheel, kinda near the left air duct .I pulled my gauges too, but not sure if you have too. I was pissed trying to find it at night bylistening for it, and than trying to find it... good luck

The turn signal in my 2000 started acting funny, but was not blowing fuses. The hazards are in the same module, about 50 bucks from the dealer, 30 minute job to replace, although it is tight to get in and out. I would say replace it, everything is in that one module and a short would most likely be in there.

Eric

yes, I had pulled it before (same problem) to take a look at it- I can do it in 20 mins or so.

for 50 bucks since it is a one pice unit I am thinking just replace the thing!

thanks for the heads up!

L.R.

Mine had the same problem, I took the module out and there was a broken spring inside. It was a mistake to try and repair it. It took me forever to put it back together! It was Friday night, and I didn't want to go all weekend without turn signals (well, and everything else on the lever!).

ebishop, IH8RDS, and jeepr- do any of you have the part number for the turn signal switch? I went into advance discount auto and they showed that part as being a dealer only item. WTF? he said if I brought in the PN they could probably track it down- (I think* they were having some kind of computer problem)

no way do I want to pay 2 times as much (probably more) from a dealer!

thanks for any help!

L.R.

Back