• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA 2002 FALL FLING TRAIL SCHEDULE

G

Subject to change before the event.

FALL FLING 2002
MOAB, UTAH
TRAIL LIST FOR
OCTOBER 9-12

E= EASY; stock vehicles with minimum modifications
M=MODERATE; vehicles with moderate modifications. ie. 3"+ lift, 30+ tires, some skid protection
H=HARD; minimum 3.5"+ lift, minimum 31 tires, skid protection, and traction aid at least in one differential, experienced driver in 4 wheeling, willing to take body damage.
D=VERY DIFFICULT; minimum 4.5"+ lift, minimum 32 tires, minimum mandatory one locker or two well working limited slips, tools, spare parts and knowledge in repairing vehicle, willing to take probable body damage and spend long day on trail with family.

TRAIL LIST
(LEADER)

WENDSDAY, OCTOBER,9.
E=Tusher Tunnel/Gemini Bridges (Mil)
M= Tusher Tunnel/Wipeout Hill (Mil)
H= Behind the Rocks or Metal Masher
D= possibly Behind the Rocks and down Pritchett Canyon
Or just up Pritchett Canyon

THURSDAY, OCTOBER,10.
E= Schaffer Trail (Mike)
M= Poison Spider
H= Cliff Hanger (Mil)
D=Helldorado

FRIDAY, OCTOBER, 11
E=
M= HELLS REVENGE
H= ALL XJ RUN
D=

SATURDAY, OCTOBER, 12
E=Top of World/Rose Garden
M= Gold Bar Rim to Golden Spike
H= Poison Spider/Golden Spike (Nay)
D= Rusty Nail/Golden Spike (Sean R)

explanation of &#8221 in the trails post

Transfer from WORD to the page did not happen correctly so
'&#8221' actually stands for " or inches.

example; 3.5" or inches+lift, minimum 31"or inche tires

That looks great Mil. Carol and I will be there from Tuesday night until early Sat am. I won't volunteer to lead any trails but I will be prepared to be the "fix-it or get it off the trail guy" on the trail every day.

Any takers for an upper Helldorado run, OneTon, Goatman?

Grant

It looks like Mil has thrown that in as a contigency as only stating Helldorado and not Lower or Upper. I'd be all over hitting upper if anyone else is interested. I'm just throwing this out as a suggestion, but we could go and hit Lower Proving Grounds afterwards and see if anyone can make the entrance obstacle into UPG. Of course this would all depend on time so that we can make the BBQ that :shock: boy is in charge of.

Sean

OK, I've been sucking up welding fumes too much, didn't realize the date on the Helldorado run. I say we wheel til we puke on Thurs :roll:

Sean

I need an interested "mid-gunner" and "tail-gunner" for the PSM/Golden Spike run. Email me if you are planning on this run and would like to take on one of these roles. It's some 35 miles in total, so we need more than one head thinking about things. Email me if you are considering this run (and you should consider it - one of the best runs there is). I'd like to get a mid/tail on set up if we are going to have a decent sized group.

Nay

Nay, Amy and I are planning on running the PS/GS run with you Sat. I've done Spider once, and Gold Bar up to the Spike the other way a couple of times, but never been on Spike itself. I'd be happy to help with mid/tail gun on this run. Have a winch, lots of recovery gear, first aid kit. Let me know if I can help.

Scott

I'd like to try Behind the Rocks on Wed. If you guys decide to do MM instead, then I'll do Pritchett. Up or down, I'd like to do Pritchett. I'm not sure what you guys are thinking of with Helldorado, but I'm afraid :shock: What's Rusty Nail? Is that what some call Gold Bar, or is it another variation? I've run PS before, but not GS. Is there a sign-up for the trails, or do we sort that out when we get there? It's looking like a great trip!

[quote:38e8b47e4c="Anonymous"]I need an interested "mid-gunner" and "tail-gunner" for the PSM/Golden Spike run. Email me if you are planning on this run and would like to take on one of these roles. It's some 35 miles in total, so we need more than one head thinking about things. Email me if you are considering this run (and you should consider it - one of the best runs there is). I'd like to get a mid/tail on set up if we are going to have a decent sized group.

Nay[/quote:38e8b47e4c]

I could be a mid-gunner or something, but I'm not a registered NAXJA member if that matters. I think I'll be hanging with Jeff Turner or brent Orton (hopefully that's a good thing :D ) most of the time as a guest, but I do know my way around a few of the trails down there, fairly well.

Marc Bryson
City of Salt, UT

like I'll get permission. and then there is the little front end problem I'm currently experiancing. and if I get that fixed, then it will be something else like some sort of employment that I'll have to show up to :D

[quote:22feee0f57="Erik"]I'd like to try Behind the Rocks on Wed. If you guys decide to do MM instead, then I'll do Pritchett. Up or down, I'd like to do Pritchett. I'm not sure what you guys are thinking of with Helldorado, but I'm afraid [/quote:22feee0f57]
if you can handle pritchet, you can definatly handle heldorado, I first ran it with 31's, back when it harder, people have been winching rocks out of the trail so they don't scratch their rock sliders, not to mention any names like one Jim (prick) Cole...

[quote:22b9e79dff="Anonymous"]

Any takers for an upper Helldorado run, OneTon, Goatman?

Grant[/quote:22b9e79dff]

I'd love to do Upper Helldorado, except for that one spot that virtually guarantees taking out the drivers side rear window or ripping off the back hatch. Otherwise, the trail is doable. Last year we ran Lower Helldorado and then Lower Proving Grounds, which was fun and a relatively short day. Lower Helldorado isn't a hard trail for those with a little experience, and I wouldn't care to do it again, but Lower Proving Grounds is very short and a lot of fun, and it's real close to town. We could even run over and do it after running one of the other trails if we didn't get back to late.

I'd be willing to lead a group to either Lower Proving Grounds or Moab Rim on Sunday morning, either would be a half day run.

Richard G

OK, maybe I'll put Lower Helldorado on the list. I'd like to hike up the Upper portion and watch Richard modify his rear window. Hey Brent, since you have no silly rear windows why don't you give it a try? I have to drive back on Sun., so I can't do any runs then.

PS- What is Rusty Nail?

Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail is a difficult section that is a side route off of Gold Bar Rim and comes out by the Golden Crack. Then you take the remaining portion of Gold Spike out Past Double Wammy and onto Gold Bar and out. It is a fun route but Lockers are a must for this route.

Yeah, I was going to throw in that you must have dual lockers and 33's for this run. We don't need a repeat of the bonehead award. You also must have a willingness to taste your seat through your posterior end as there is a section that is a complete head trip.

Sean

Why dual lockers? I know open or LSD fronts might need a bit of help but driver error caused the bonehead award two years ago. I've been wanting to do this trail again but I know I won't have the front locked by then.

By the way, I don't think my wife has forgiven me for the solo psm/gs/gbr trip a couple weeks ago. What a great "get aquainted" trail to introduce someone to Moab wheeling on. :shock:

Bones

is this the foam taste inducer you speak of?

[img:ef7a288617]http://images.fotki.com/v5/photos/4/42106/114517/75-vi.jpg[/img:ef7a288617]

[img:ef7a288617]http://images.fotki.com/v4/photos/4/42106/114517/74-vi.jpg[/img:ef7a288617]

That's the one! :D In fact, isn't this obstacle called "head trip"? What can't be seen in the pictures is that it's right next to a couple hundred foot drop off on the drivers side, and you go down it totally blind and dependent on your spotter.......fun! :lol:

Richard G

Bones wrote:

"By the way, I don't think my wife has forgiven me for the solo psm/gs/gbr trip a couple weeks ago. What a great "get aquainted" trail to introduce someone to Moab wheeling on. "

I agree - if you want to "cut your teeth" and move up from scenic Moab to more difficult wheeling without dealing with the more extreme stuff, this is your run. If you are thinking about running PSM/GS/GBR on Sat, please email me so I can get an idea of the run size and how much "gunner" help I want to enlist.

Nay

Rusty Nail

As the bonehead in question in regard to the Rusty nail Trail, I would like to request that we only have 1 or 2 spotters guiding each rig over certain sections. :p Having watched the video of my adventure several times in the past 2 years, that would have helped. :wink:

Jason A.
'91 XJ

Back