NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 11th, 2019, 08:12
NAXJA Forum User

Re: clayton 3 link cross, diy arms/mount?

well ive gotten some qoutes back. square tube is about 1/4 the cost of DOM so that make my choice easy.

as far as the upper link goes, does anyone advise against a square tube upper?
google says its 33% stronger, but I dont know in what way.
Old December 11th, 2019, 10:09
NAXJA Forum User

whats the cost of square tube?

after bending 2x1/4 DOM control arms on my last jeep... personally id just order aluminum links for WOD. for the cost and labor time making links? its worth the convenience and strength.
Old December 11th, 2019, 10:16
NAXJA Forum User

if you are going to do a 3 link, the upper does all the controlling of the axles rotation, and sees a lot of forces. you need a hard joint at the axle (hard joint at both ends actually) like you mentioned. but if you want to use the stock casting vs welding on a truss you can buy a threaded clevis for the upper, i found a few with a quick google search.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/stein...r-9706-tj.html
http://www.stinkyfab.com/jeep-upper-link-clevis-ends/
Old December 11th, 2019, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

yeah I planned on using this for the cast joint: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...xoCQkcQAvD_BwE

its the 1/2" upgrade from the 7/16.

I havent found too many clevis for the upper arm (sfab is more than a JJ????),maybe ill make my own. I planned on a JJ at all arm ends, mostly because its still a DD and I like the idea of JJs having a tad more give then heims.

I do want to add a truss, just not one that buries the cast mount, that makes no sense unless its required for separation, which I still need to find out if this will work without a raised mount.
Old December 11th, 2019, 18:20
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
Is anyone running Clayton longarms?
I have their original radius arm setup before they did the 3-link. I also have the rear coil conversion. Still works great as it did when it was installed 13 years ago.
Old December 12th, 2019, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I have their original radius arm setup before they did the 3-link. I also have the rear coil conversion. Still works great as it did when it was installed 13 years ago.
If you threw an upper link on the driverside-pinion cast mount, do you think it would hit the driveshaft?
Old December 12th, 2019, 14:06
NAXJA Member

I am fairly certain that I have seen a Clayton prototype 3-link many years ago that did exactly that. The third link was only on the drive shaft side. It was more than a decade ago but I remember a D30 truss that used the cast mount with extra steel on the truss.

Old December 12th, 2019, 19:54
NAXJA Forum User

ideally that truss is what Im trying to do away with. I know other kits use the diff for a 3 link without the above diff truss thing, but i dont know what has been done, if anything to compensate for this.
Old December 12th, 2019, 20:09
NAXJA Forum User

Well it would be easier to put a bend around the the driveshaft in round tubing.
Old December 12th, 2019, 20:33
NAXJA Forum User

NEED HELP

Iím new to the page and need some help ! Iíve got a 1990 xj with upgraded motion off-road heavy duty 1 ton ylink crossover kit . And need to replace the y link end link. Does anyone know what replacement I can get now that the company is out of business ? The tie rod ends are not upgraded to 1ton. I tried ordering the ruff stuff 1tons but wasnít correct . Thank you
Old December 12th, 2019, 21:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Well it would be easier to put a bend around the the driveshaft in round tubing.
does it need a bend?

i can find many image hosting images without a bend, but they never list build info/ lift height.....
Old December 13th, 2019, 13:23
NAXJA Forum User

the full traction and BDS 4 links use the factory cast mount. its got to fit in some manner. but most opt for a truss for either separation or freedom of location. id think the ability to use a threaded joint on the control arm is also a factor. i dont think youll get a clear with your specific parts you intend to use unless you find THAT ONE GUY who has done/tried it.

you got a couple options...
- pull your coils, put the jeep at full bump, figure out where the frame side upper will be as best you can, and throw a piece of PVC up there to see what it looks like.
- take a look at where the 4 link kits that use the factory upper (full traction, BDS, etc) locate their frame side upper and make an educated guess if its close to the crossmember you want to use.
- go for it, and try to make it work, come up with a solution on the fly if it doesnt fit.
- plan on doing a truss from the beginning. if you are going to weld your own arms, you can weld a truss.