• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 power transmission switch

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
What would/could cause the power transmission switch to suddenly not work? ['90 AW4] The TCU seems to not be the problem as I put in another one and same thing. Is there a relay for it somewhere I should look at?
TIA

cykaaro said:
What would/could cause the power transmission switch to suddenly not work?
How do you know it is not working? The switch light (not coming on) or can you easily tell the difference between Power and Comfort? On my '89 the difference is very little.

_Maz

There is no relay. It's simply a low current switch providing an input to the TCU. When there's 12 volts directed into the TCU, it assumes power mode. Newer xj's did away with the switch and have that wire powered up constantly.

Thanks for the explaination.

I broke down and went to the dealership and got it looked at. Seems the valve body for my low gear needs to be replaced, so what it's doing is kicking me up into 2nd, and the power switch isn't working because of that. Now to find where I can get it done for a reasonable price. They quoted me $600-$700 :bawl:

Back