• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crystal run.

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
been getting conflicting info on if crystal/moody trail is open or not so a few of us northern guys are going to hit it today about 2 2:30. going to meet at the safeway on 34 the one next to kmart and burgerking. around 2:30 and then head up shortley after that. looks like most of us should be on ch.20 if you want to just meet at the trail head or not. :peace:

Jdogg, what did you find on monday? I was up there camping on the moody hill rd on saturday and got right in on FR513. I left on FR 132....when I got to CR44H on sunday morning I had to open a gate at the bottom of the hill. Looking backwards I saw at least three signs that said "private rd no tresspassing" and one of them said" Private- NO FOREST ACCESS" This last is an outright lie on two counts... did you run into that kind of thing?
John

well we got a later start than we wanted so we ran moody to the rock quary played around there for over an hour. we had 2 yjs a tj one xj and a sazzukie with us. this was after 3 on monday.
Ya the private land sign is correct thats the fire service road. it is private land all up that area just like the private land in my house but with the street there they can't block it off. well they can block it with the gate just not lock it. I try not to run that FS road just to keep the peace with most of the people up there other than the one a hole that lives up that area and trys to run people off the road with his ATV. and says we are the dangerous ones. moody isn't anything to crazy but fun enought to go up and down it. didn't see any campers up or down most of the people we saw were heading down moody as we went up. saw a few tjs a yj and about 50 bikes and atvs heading down. Both gates are open and the trail is good to go. picked up a few things of trash but not much I was expecting it to be kinda trashed with the holiday weekend and with as many people that are up there.

I want to go play around more on crystal. it was late and we didn't have much time. That and I need to fix my fender. when at the rock quary (not locked) I was having some problems with the last clime and came down a bit hard with my fender to my wheel so they meet up and the tire won. so now My fender is bashed up like no other. guess I need to get those tj flairs on and get bigger bump stops.

I ran crystal about 8 monthes ago while coming down on the fs road we talked to one of the home owners up there. Guess a group of people went up and trashed some trailer (gun shot holes, broken windows) so they put up that gate. Its complete crap that many good people end up paying for the the disrespect of others. Let me know next time you go I live in Evans
Thanks Dwayne

Ya that gate has been up for some time now. A guy I work with has some land up there. and he said the only thing that bugs him is the guys on the bikes and the ATVs cause they have those aftermarket mufflers that are so loud they scare away alot of the wildlife. He lives about 4 miles up the FS road from the crystal moody crossover on the FS road. He said that tends to be the big problem up there but us jeepers and stuff get tossed into the pit with the rest of the bad seads. I try and take a trash bag with me and pick up things from time to time when we're stopped. That and I know alot of the loveland highschool kids tend to camp up there and trash. They leave there beer cans and bottles up there all the time so they don't get busted with the stuff when they get home. All they would have to say is they were doing a trail cleanup or something if a cop pulled them over.

I know there's a few unsavory types that go up there. twice I've run across campfires that weren't put out. one was merrily burning with about 6 lbs of beercans in the bottom of it and not a soul in sight....I hope the sheriff got em for DUI on the way home. I'm up for moody or crystal anytime cause it's nice and close....and they are not bad trails ( love the views from Moody). Kelly flats is the next on the list (don't know about heartattack hill, my diffs are woefully open).

I'm open diff aswell so no biggy on that one. ran 7mile last year with a few inches of snow on it. not a bad run to hit before kellyflats. I have some work to do on the jeep before I run it again. I dented in the passanger side front fender really bad. I have some tj flairs that are going on it but I need to prep them first and then get to cutting. 4.5 re lift gave me 5 inches yet I only got 2" bumpstops. not enough from what I found out in the rock quary on monday. O well it was good times. that and this brush guard has to come off. Going to order some steel from work and start fabbing a new front bumper.

Sorry about the short notice on this run it was kinda the night before/next morning for the last min go ahead for me from the getting out of the family thing.

Back