• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where is an easy place near front seats to access power line for fuel pump?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
still working on an EFI conversion for my 350 Cherokee--- I need to connect the EFI power line on the fuel pump... I'm going to use the stock pump. Questions:

• I see the electrical connections for the pump come out of the tank and connect to a wire bundle that enter the cabin through a hole in the floor. I'd like to just clip this wire somewhere near the front and connect the power lead from the EFI there, rather than run another line all the way to the back of the car. I can rip everything up and trace it ... but.... if anyone knows an easy place near the front (fuse box?) that I can access this I'd appreciate it.
  • Which line is power to the pump? Green?
  • how many amps does the pump draw? Is it less than 15 (if not, I need to use a relay)?

thanks!

you really should just consolidate all of this into a single swap thread.

IIRC it's renix right?
Look under the drivers side plastic sill piece for the wires. IIRC it's in there.

you really should just consolidate all of this into a single swap thread.

IIRC it's renix right?
Look under the drivers side plastic sill piece for the wires. IIRC it's in there.

Thanks.
These are questions that are coming up as I'm doing the swap. If I consolidate the threads, the title won't match the question anymore :)

I don't know what the stock fuel pump was...I switched to a mechanical pump when I did the 350 swap, and now going back to an aftermarket stock replacement.

There just happen to be wiring diagrams that are year-specific.

There just happen to be wiring diagrams that are year-specific.

ok, ok, I'll just look it up on the FSB. tracing it was probably a non-starter. I thought someone would know this off the top of their head. my mistake.
and I'll just google around for the amperage.

ok, ok, I'll just look it up on the FSB. tracing it was probably a non-starter. I thought someone would know this off the top of their head. my mistake.
and I'll just google around for the amperage.
Ummm, yeah! Once you get into the wiring diagram you will see wire gauges, circuit protection, and if you have the correct diagram for the model-year, color codes. :lecture:

The terminator EFI system you are using will run up to a 15 amp pump if I remember correctly. The stock pump might pull 10 amps. You should be fine.

You can always use the terminator to trigger the stock fuel pump relay if thats easier for you to find.

I don't know which/where/what color the factory fuel pump + wire is.

What year was your XJ? I can look up a schematic and let you know.

Thanks.
These are questions that are coming up as I'm doing the swap. If I consolidate the threads, the title won't match the question anymore :)

I don't know what the stock fuel pump was...I switched to a mechanical pump when I did the 350 swap, and now going back to an aftermarket stock replacement.

I understand that, but the problem arises that if I didn't know about your last three threads I'd have no idea even the basic information on your junk, like what year it is.

we're not mind readers, and you don't type it out in every question you ask.

just start a swap thread so people can keep track of what it is you've done, are doing, and attempting to do. easier for all involved.
Also easier for you to keep track of answers, pending issues and in 5 years you can find it and figure out exactly what the hell you did back in the day when you're trying to troubleshoot it.

I understand that, but the problem arises that if I didn't know about your last three threads I'd have no idea even the basic information on your junk, like what year it is.

we're not mind readers, and you don't type it out in every question you ask.

That was my mistake... For some reason I though I had my info in my sig. 88 xj, with 350 Chevy and Holley 4bbl carb.

Back