• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who says stockers can't have fun in JV?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I wanted to check on a couple of things over out Emerson Lake way on Sunday and brought James along with me since it was a stocker friendly run.

We decided to go the long way around by starting over near Back Door, driving by Meville Lake, and then looping to Emerson.

Here is James trying on the big soft sand hill (my dad in the background in his Jeep).

Rockin_+2009+-+056.jpg

Rockin_+2009+-+065.jpg

After a bunch of runs it ended up denying him at the last 50' or so, instead of continuing to abuse his Jeep we hooked him up and gave him some help.

Rockin_+2009+-+076.jpg

My dad's Jeep on a spooled up rear and 33" Maxis Bighorns made short work of the hill on the softer right hand line.

Rockin_+2009+-+070.jpg

After getting over that hill the route is just simple little roads with a lot to look at. There are a few soft sections where you have to power through but James had no trouble there.

Rockin_+2009+-+087.jpg

Rockin_+2009+-+090.jpg

The road takes you over to Emerson Lake, Emerson is dry like Means but without the pesky craters.

Rockin_+2009+-+093.jpg

We went right to the edge of the marine base boundary, boy people don't respect those signs much!

Rockin_+2009+-+096.jpg

Rockin_+2009+-+097.jpg

After that I took us over to an area near the lake so that James could get his Jeep into some rocks for the first time, on Sunday I also showed him that you must always park Cherokees creatively.

Rockin_+2009+-+086.jpg

Rockin_+2009+-+108.jpg

More photos can be found here: http://events.sequoia4x4.com/d/21227-2/20091108-rockin.jpg

It was a good day all told! Post up your own stocker run photos if you'd like to prove to people that you really can have fun in anything in the Johnson Valley area!

Last edited:
Did you find a route from Emerson back to the south side along the base boundary?

Did you find a route from Emerson back to the south side along the base boundary?

No but Paul suggested one that I was ignoring due to it being on the wrong side of the sign. He mentioned that he though the sign was a little optimistic and I agreed, one of these days I'll go back there and look again but actually pay attention to where the signs are in relation to the actual boundary line.

After two days of using it as a nav station with high speed lakebed runs and what-not my little runabout laptop got a little dirty.

This is why I will only use a "disposable" computer as a runabout:
Rockin_+2009+-+128.jpg

Rockin_+2009+-+129.jpg

It was a lot of fun-I had a great group with me... And Quentin (Cherokee Newbie), thanks for bringing along our spotter (Your Sammy-driving friend David)!!

Back