• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97xj wont turn over even with the starter jumped-good battery and NSS

Raine883

NAXJA Forum User
So heres my story, My jeep has been a little slow to start for the last few days, I was thinking the battery was going out so I was just keeping my jump box charged in the event in finally went. Well I stopped at a gas station and stupidly turned off my jeep and now it won't do anything at all. I tried jumping the relay and the starter and it doesnt even try to turn. I just rebuilt the NSS a couple months back, the reverse lights are working and I swapped in a battery I knew was good. Still nothing, I've come to the conclusion that either my starter is toast or my ignition switch went out. I'm leaning more toward the starter but both are factory with 200k on them so just to be safe I going to replace both. I just want to know if I'm on the right track or theres something I'm missing.

Fuses are good
cables are less than 6 months old
relay and fuses are good
NSS is good, no Cel's
new cam and crank sensor
fuel pump is firing
13.1 volts on the good battery 12.2 on the one I pulled off

the starter or the switch are all I can think of and they are pretty much the only oem parts left on the thing, if im missing something I'd appreciate any input before I start tearing it down behind a gas station.

Check for voltage on the small center post on the starter solenoid while a buddy turns the key. If you get voltage, the ignition circuit is fine and problem is with the starter motor, battery wire, or battery. If you don't get anything, the problem is upstream somewhere.

I got it going, somehow the plastic cap on the back of the solenoid twisted and broke the connections behind it, I didn't notice it until I started removing the starter and the whole cap spun. This is one of the more bizarre parts failures I've had.

Back