• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boating Accident

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
It's been a while since we all talked about our unfortunate boating accidents. She was a beauty while I still had her.

Pawn shop status

20180807174035-b09e9538-xl.png

Preban Config

20180807174027-9259b8fd-xl.jpg

20180807174030-422cc23f-xl.jpg

What's "pawn shop status"?

No new pew toys over here. Although I’m looking at the browning 1911 380 for ash. If I get it I just fear it might also be lost at the bottom of a lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How'd you find an AK like that at a pawn shop? Seems like a nice score......

Romanian? Yugoslavian? Looks older than the one I lost since it's lacking the engraving marks mine had, I believe mine was a Romanian SAR-1 built in '01. Currently rusting in a Colorado river bed...... tragic.

I know nothing about ak's so please be gentle. What is the difference between Romanian and Yugoslavian ak's?

Follow up question: I see ak's advertised with 'no cleaning rod', what does that mean? When I used to have a gun collection, before the big flood washed them out to sea, none of them came with a cleaning rod.

I know nothing about ak's so please be gentle. What is the difference between Romanian and Yugoslavian ak's?

Follow up question: I see ak's advertised with 'no cleaning rod', what does that mean? When I used to have a gun collection, before the big flood washed them out to sea, none of them came with a cleaning rod.

Check out ak operators union, tons of great in dept info, testing, and more. Totally worth it if you plan on purchasing.

Differences (as found on an AK forum thread....)

Romy = Standard 1mm thick receiver
Yugo = Heavy duty 1.6mm thick RPK receiver

Romy = Standard thickness front trunnion
Yugo = Heavy duty bulged sides RPK front trunnion

Romy = Low quality finish
Yugo = High quality finish

Romy = no provisions for flip up night sights
Yugo = provisions for flip up night sights

Romy = Thin AKM style barrel, cold hammer forged, chrome lined
Yugo = Thicker "real" AK-47 (NOT AKM) style barrel (like a Russian AK), cold hammer forged, not chrome lined (can you afford all the ammo its gonna take to wear it out, about 10 grand worth?)

Romy = Always considered to be the bottom of the barrel AK
Yugo = Always considered to be a top of the line AK

Biggest arguable difference is the Romanian SAR-1's are notably lighter weight and therefore preferred for actual tactical/field use. The Yugo's are for those that feel like they have to have an Audi over a VW. (yeah that's for you Donn......:D) The Russian and other country built AK's...... as I understand it are above the Yugo's in overall "quality" and construction.....again, arguably.

See that skinny rod below the barrel on Donn's pictured AK? That's the cleaning rod - which is exactly what you're thinking it is. Some will have it, some won't. Mine doesn't....er.....didn't...... well has likely rusted to a brittle twig by now.

Last edited:
That info could use some clarifying. There is a variance in the romi ak’s. There’s the wasr and g models. The g models are considered to be a better fit and finish and are built a little more stout. It will be stamped by the trigger as to which. Other options are if it is a true romi or if it’s American built with romi parts. Generally speaking a true romi is a bit more reliable and has better finish in magwell vs parts kit built in us. Same goes for most variants built with kits in us. Front side being canted or true is usually the giveaway when doing a quick visual inspection.
True romi are known for being cheap and rugged. If I had anything that went pew that resembled an ak, the one I would shoot most would be a romi, and I’m somewhere in the 10k+ rounds down hole range, and I bought used, no rebuilds. The other pistols, and heavier options shoot well but are a bit more finicky. It’s a matter of preference for what you want.

Woooo, so much going on here. In the world of AK variations there are many. You usually want to talk in terms of preban, transitional, post ban and kit built.

Pre-ban - Factory armory built with evil features, e.g. night sights, bayonet lug, pistol grip

Transitional - Factory armory built, evil features neutered stateside. Most were stuck in customs when the 1989 AWB went into effect. They were modified to be compliant with the new law and subsequently released for sale. There was nothing restricting owners from returning to original configuration. Most rifles were sold with said removed parts.

Post-ban - Factory armory built, manufactured without evil features. These are what you see on the shelves today

Kit Built - Built from a pile of parts. Older kits were imported sans the receiver. Newer kits sans the receiver and barrel. Best examples are demilled from armory storage, typically in unissued condition, with original barrel, all serial numbers match. Prices vary wildly based on condition and rarity.

Pre-bans are considered the most desirable and well built AK's on the market.

Options were:
Chinese - Shit ton, lots of importers
Hungarian - Not many, one importer
Yugoslavian - Not many, two importers
Egyptian - Not many, one importer

The post-ban options are diverse and many. I won't even take a stab at summarizing them here. Some are really nice and some are crap.

The above Yugo beauty is a Mitchell Arms (second importer) transitional model. 800 transitional model standard barrel .308's were imported. Mine was put back to original preban configuration with the exception of the bayonet lug, which they ground off. Has an exceedingly rare Italian Import optics mount. Lowers the optic about an inch vs. the standard Mitchell mount. Possibly the only one in the country.

Below are a few I sold to pay for college (being an adult sucks most of the time)

Mitchell Arms transitional RPK heavy barrel in .308, 100 imported. Correct Mitchell optics mount and ZRAK .308 cammed 6x32 scope

20140725173530-daf485c4-xl.jpg

Mitchell Arms preban standard barrel in x39, 1000 imported. Correct Mitchell optics mount and ZRAK .x39 cammed 4x32 scope (1 of 6 documented x39 scopes in country)

20131123215641-d0d97758-xl.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Donn......... You and AK's..... had NO idea. :thumbup:

Back