• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Costs

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Prices are WAY up over last year.

Gas Buddy shows that gas is in the $2.65 range along the interstate in central and eastern KY, and closer the $2.80 mark in Harlan.

From my notes, the cost in Harlan was $2.13 and I paid on average about $2.03 a gallon last year.

Yeah, I figured my fuel bill at $2.75/gallon average. I budgeted $200 in fuel.

The good news is that fuel seems to be creeping down a bit here lately so maybe that trend will continue.

I remember driving to Moab when it was $4 a gallon. That really put the damper on long trips.

I'm figuring mine on $2.65 Ed. I used 76 gallons last year so figuring about $210 under the assumption of 80 gallons..that included topping off the tank in the XJ, which was close to empty after trail days.

My old engine got 8.5 mpg while towing. Figuring the replacement engine will be about the same. Hopefully a little better. When I towed the giveaway trailer into Indiana I got about 10.5 mpg.

I'm figuring mine on $2.65 Ed. I used 76 gallons last year so figuring about $210 under the assumption of 80 gallons..that included topping off the tank in the XJ, which was close to empty after trail days.

My old engine got 8.5 mpg while towing. Figuring the replacement engine will be about the same. Hopefully a little better. When I towed the giveaway trailer into Indiana I got about 10.5 mpg.

The Hemi die ? cause ?

Yes. Blew an upper radiator hose and over heated. Valve seat let go in the process and punched a hole in something. Apparently that valve seat assembly was an issue with pre-09 Hemi engines. Apparently it affected the Chargers also, as I’ve heard about a lot of that same issue on patrol cars from the mid-00s.

I remember diesel prices were close to $4 a gallon the 1st and 2nd year we went to Harlan. The last 2 years it's been around $2 and last year it was down to $ 1.95 in some smaller stations.

Now I'm seeing $3.15+...BUT my local Murphy was $2.87 last week. I'm hoping to time it right where I won't need to put much in to top off for the initial leg of the trip to cut off some of the cost overall.
The dodge gets just at 12 MPG with the MJ and trailer behind it...what sucks is if I had the 3.73 gears instead of 4.10's in the rear I could get closer to 15 MPG but then I'd lose some grunt in the MTs.

Oh well...I budget $500 round trip for diesel each year...I've gone over that 2 of the 5 years so far but was well under the last 2 so I guess I'm ok.

With the Tundra I left with a full tank, had to fill up in Asheville before climbing the mountains, then one more time once I got into Kentucky. That truck has 24 gallon tank and averages a solid 8mpg when towing, no matter what is hooked to the back of it.

With the Ecoboost I hope to average 10-11mpg at interstate speeds based on trips i've already taken with it towing. It's got a 36 gallon tank though so I get a pretty decent range when towing. I can easily get over 300 miles on one tank, and Harlan is 282 miles from my house. It would be awesome to get there on one tank just for the fact of cutting a couple stops out of the trip. We shall see.

What are these "tow rigs" you guys speak of?

I have all but a trailer queen. I do miss the days of having a double duty rig.

I'd have to make it a 2 day trip up and a 2 day trip back if I tried to drive the MJ...she'll do 80 but it's scary above about 55. Plus I value my teeth...a trip like that and I'd lose a few of them before I even hit the FL/GA line.

97 2500 Cummins 5spd

I have a goal of making it to Harlan and home on one tank. 35 gallon...
Last year I stopped about 20 miles short to be safe, as I had already been pushing my luck at that point. It was also my first year with the tuner :D ...and my trip MPG dropped to 16.2 from previous year. (Also had goosneck vs bumper pull, that could have hurt it too)

There's no better feeling when wheeling than not having to worry about driving it home.

That's right!!!

I’d like to meet the jackass that decided on a 17 gallon tank in a Hemi Commander, for no reason other than to punch him in the nose. 165 miles to a tank last year.

I wish it was this good towing!

793a7cf595db37a92e814b939c283e28.jpg

488 miles at 8mpg and $2.80 per gallon is only $170.00 Playing it extra safe, huh?

I figure I'll spend about $150 on gas to travel 542 miles round trip. $200 to play it safe.

Gotta get there and back though, that’s the thing, 488 miles each way, almost 1000 overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back