• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tru speed

righteyejoe

NAXJA Forum User
i am new to all the lifts on XJ's and i have resently put 4 3/4 lift on my 97 xj sport with 31 10.50 and i know my speedo is off and im looking at upgrading my axles and i was wondering if the skyjacker truspeed senser is a good idea or a waste of 180 bucks or a good call?(forgive any wrong spelling)
Joe

I have it on mine. It has 2 settings for 2 different tire sizes if you need to swap for any reason. It is cheaper to install the gearing if you are at your "final" gearing or tire size but I went through 3 sizes on my YJ and that is how I "justified" using the Truspeed on my XJ. I have already ran 31's and now at 33's and use a GPS to calibrate the setting. It is worth it to me because by the time I make up my mind it will have paid for itself in tire size changes.

mtntech said:
I have it on mine. It has 2 settings for 2 different tire sizes if you need to swap for any reason. It is cheaper to install the gearing if you are at your "final" gearing or tire size but I went through 3 sizes on my YJ and that is how I "justified" using the Truspeed on my XJ. I have already ran 31's and now at 33's and use a GPS to calibrate the setting. It is worth it to me because by the time I make up my mind it will have paid for itself in tire size changes.

Wouldn't you have to go through around 9 or 10 speedometer gears before this gadget pays for itself? Seems like a waste to me.

No that's wrong. Changing the speed sensor gearing is exactly that. The gear provides the input to the speed sensor, which is what the computer reads for the shift points. Changing the gear adjusts the speed sensor inputs manually where the true speed attempts to adjust the digital pulse train electronically (actually electrically).

I put a true speed module in, it is by far the worst decision I have made of all the mods I have done. Mine is no longer a DD, so I just keep putting off pulling it.

My $.02

Back