• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TORXreport: Northwest Fest 2013

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Another awesome year at Naches with great wheeling, and good people!

My trip this year started Wednesday morning. I met up with SpecFab, MnkyBoy, and the BronzeWyrm_Family in Kalama. We grabbed a quick hot case breakfast, tossed some cold $hit on the dinner supplies, and hit the road for Naches. The trip up went by really quick, a quick shot on I5, an hour on Hwy12, a scenic climb over Chinook Pass, and we were there.
DAEA972E-40F7-46BA-918D-5204A4F33469-2030-000001CB8DC4A474.jpg

We pulled into Loong Meadow to find Nick and the Scott_Family already set up. After unloading, and setting up camp, Nick, Nathen, Adam, the Scott_Family, and I set off for a quick run up to Ravens Roost. We explored some old trails on the way, enjoyed the socked in view from the top, and then the Gresham Boyz proceeded to get stuck in the snow drifts.

After the trek back down, we noticed smoke coming from Nathen's hood. It was a mess.
IMG_0160.jpg

We limped it back to camp, and then Nathen manufactured a new oil cap after the last one went MIA.
B90B8C01-D13A-4339-8ADE-88A2B5194B06-2030-000001CB7EE57086.jpg

The next morning the four of us set off to explore the trails on the south side. Topped off at Whistlin Jack's at $4.45 a gallon.
IMG_0163.jpg

Took the 1600rd up to the 1706, and then to Little Bald Mountain.
A3F31FC0-1A12-4BC4-80C2-CF44CF3C504C-2030-000001CB762D4728.jpg

After a long, steep, bumpy climb we made it to Little Bald Mountain.
IMG_0166.jpg

This is why I love Naches.
EC3B6143-15B8-489A-9D0F-F0C5D8B2CD04-2030-000001CB6A81D303.jpg

After a quick inspection of a misfire issue, Nathen discovered his rotor contact had gone MIA as well. Luckily he found it hiding in his distributor.
IMG_0171.jpg

Continuing on, we hit the Mud Springs trail. This was the first time in three years this trail hasn't been snowed in. It was great to run it again.
IMG_0172.jpg

The entire trail hugs the ridge(cliff) side.
IMG_0175.jpg

After finishing Mud Springs, and with it still being early in the day we decided to cruise across the highway, and check out the rocks.
IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Ran into a local group up there, the Oregon Brush Busters.
IMG_0184.jpg

MnkyBoy took advantage of his length (yeah that's right), and walked right up the ledge.
IMG_0187.jpg

We played around a bit, and then headed for camp. On the highway back to camp, Nick discovered he had a balance issue so we set off to fix it. The power of vacuum.
BD4834D3-47D1-421E-994D-929AE06770AD-2030-000001CB55984556.jpg

About five pounds of Naches clay was extracted from the tire. There's your problem.
6F986102-B9FC-441D-A4AC-5D27E4751173-2030-000001CB462344C2.jpg

After dinner, and meeting some new people, we set out for a night run up Kaner Flats 676. It had been raining off and on throughout the day, so I already new conditions were going to be interesting.
IMG_0192.jpg

Scott_Family, and Ralph behind me.
IMG_0193.jpg

Scott_Family and Nick climbing one of the first steep hill climbs.

We reached Aardvark Hill and after some wide open throttle attempts from Nick and the one of the new arrivals in a built MJ, we decided it wasn't passable without pulling cable. With it getting later, we decided to turn around and head back out the way we came in. The MJ sliced a bead in the process, 37" KM2.

After getting everyone turned around, I began to lead on the way out when I discovered I was heading straight into one of the many bottomless mud holes on Kaner Flats. Looking in my mirror I saw nothing but lights behind me. Not wanting to spend a half hour backing the group up, I made the stupid decision to "try" the hole. Epic Fail.
DC15485C-0BE9-4B08-8A41-DF63E74F561D-2030-000001CB3CBF0D36.jpg

I sunk the Nail Salon. Huge thanks to the Seattle guy (Zach?) for attaching the strap and yarding me out. They worked quick, but it honestly felt like hours to me as I listened to water pouring in, and watched my gauges flicker. I hate mud. Eventually we all made it back to camp after an eventful night run. Kaner always delivers.

Some more arrivals showed up late Thursday. Friday morning I was anxious to hit the trails with one goal of covering as much ground as possible. After setting a time of 9:34 to depart, we finally got rolling out sometime after 11:00. Typical NWC style. :rolleyes:
IMG_0198.jpg

Plan for the day was head up the 1901 bypassing Aardvark Hill after the adventure from the night before. Start with the upper sections of Kaner Flats, Manastash Ridge, down Shoestring, into String, up Tipover, across Tripod Flats, over Summit, to the Rocks, down Mid Summit to the 1701, and back to camp via 410.
B7C63A40-0147-4F07-AE92-8DEE031098F8-2030-000001CB2BAC37C8.jpg

Kaner was still a bit sloppy from the previous day's showers.
IMG_0201.jpg

Our splinter cell group at the front.
IMG_0203.jpg

This hill climb proved to be a good challenge for some.

TooBig.
IMG_0211.jpg

Continued up Manastash Ridge.
IMG_0214.jpg

Heading up the ridge, and climbing the loose shale rock is one of my favorite sections of trail at Naches.
IMG_0216.jpg

Eventually we got up to a pretty good obstacle on Manastash Ridge. I felt out the left side line, deleted my drivers side mirror, added a dent, and then decided to try the right side line. There I proceeded to remove the paint from my axle tube, diff cover, and steering. At this point I opted for Warn to come lend a hand. Josh (jeepboy381) taking his turn.
IMG_0220.jpg

Curtis thinking he was in The Beast, just motored right on up wondering where the obstacle was.
IMG_0223.jpg

Scott out with the family for a Sunday drive, one upped me and cruised right up the left side. I don't get it.
IMG_0224.jpg

Once everyone was up, we continued on up the ridge.
IMG_0228.jpg

For the first time in three years, we reached the Shoestring junction on top of the ridge.
IMG_0229.jpg

We headed down Shoestring, and then branched off onto String trail. Here Dan found a great poser opportunity.
IMG_0230.jpg

Middle of nowhere.
IMG_0232.jpg

We ran String, and then continued on up Tipover. I was stoked by our progress so far, but of course all good things must come to an end. As we gained elevation I began breaking through more and more snow drifts. Eventually I couldn't tell where the trail continued so I hiked up a ways. In order to continue we'd need to break through several good sized snow drifts, and then cut our way through a maze of downed trees. Not worth it.

We got the group turned around, and then continued on back down Tipover, and over to Shoestring. Shoestring is a tight twisty trail through the trees. I would compare it to Evans Creek. I tried my best to keep the rig off trees, but by the end of the trail I added several new dents to the body. Props to Mnkyboy and the other two full bodied MJ's in the group for finessing through the trail.
IMG_0236.jpg

One of the MJ's lost a serpentine belt, our Unsung Hero was quick to act to help get it back on.
IMG_0240.jpg

After Shoestring we hit Tripod Flats, and then cruised up to Summit trail. At this point I knew we were golden on reaching the rocks.
IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

After a long day on the trail, I think we finally reached the rocks around 6:00.
IMG_0247.jpg

I wonder where Dan parks at the mall?
IMG_0248.jpg

Over the top of Funny Rocks there's a good little v notch that will flex you out. Ray definitely found it.
IMG_0253.jpg

Tried to get Nick to run the squeeze line, but he meow'd out.
IMG_0258.jpg

After we got our bit of fun in at Funny Rocks we headed over to Moon Rocks, and then down Mid Summit.
IMG_0262.jpg

Coming down Mid Summit, one of the Seattle guys lost a fuel pump. The Unsung Hero headed back up the trail to diagnose the issue, and then began flat towing the dead rig out. After a slow ride out, using a strap at both ends, we reached the highway and headed for camp.
IMG_0264.jpg

I think we rolled in close to 11:00, 12 hours later. I have to say this was one of the best days on the trail I've had in awhile. Thanks to everyone for the patience, and great attitudes. We had an awesome group.

Once back at camp we greeted some new arrivals. Some more than others...
A9C777D1-F531-47F4-872A-AAD07B08D4C8-2030-000001CB1DBD4FEC.jpg

Saturday morning my plan was to run the 1901 up to Lilly Pond over to the 1708, and then run Upper and Lower Woodpecker to the Rocks. After a long drawn out morning trying to get the group ready, lengthy conversations with the friendly OHV officer, and my rig presenting an ignition issue, we finally rolled out of camp.

After topping off at Whistlin' Jacks we set off down Lilly Pond.
IMG_0265.jpg

Regrouping.
IMG_0266.jpg

Never gets old at Naches.
D1F90181-A672-45DA-8DF2-21304FF68E34-2030-000001CB150B5161.jpg

After finishing Lilly Pond, we continued up the Lower Woodpecker hill climb.
IMG_0268.jpg

We made it to the rocks to find it pretty busy with some other groups.
IMG_0270.jpg

Darren giving it some pepper up the ledge.
IMG_0272.jpg

Watching Eric do crack.
IMG_0280.jpg

Curtis was up top and wanted to run the crack up, so he chose the quickest line down.
IMG_0281.jpg

Then flipped a b!tch, and drove back up.
IMG_0286.jpg

On our way I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. Nick working on his own Jeep, on the trail. Turns out, after years of unthinkable abuse, his ring and pinion finally divorced.
BEA5F449-EF13-47DC-806C-AF08E5BCEA86-2030-000001CAFEBB2E93.jpg

We yanked the inner shafts, installed the stub shafts, and he was able to drive back to camp. After funny rocks, we crusied over to Moon Rocks to play around a bit. I defintely need to spend more time over there. There's an endless amount of cool lines to play on.

After returning to camp, SpecFab cooked up a tasty dinner for everyone. Josh, Arron, and John, then proceeded to give away some awesome prizes, and swag, all while accapting some donations for the NWC. Seemed like everyone was having a good time.
37A88D5C-9ACD-498B-935F-3F9E71C7A96C-2030-000001CAF7C14EF9.jpg

After the festivities, I just wasn't ready to call it quits this year. I began recruiting for a night run up Aardvark Hill, and the only taker was Josh with Dan riding along. So with a total of four people, and two rigs we set off for Kaner Flats at 10:00. One hour later we rolled back into camp.

Josh and I had an awesome pace going. I wasn't trying to push the rig, I simply had a comfortable trail pace that was working for the both of us. We quickly made it to the bottom of Aardvark Hill, where I proceeded to give it a shot. It was significantly drier than Thursday night. I chose to run the left line up the tree root. I have to say running it at night is trippy, especially when you feel your driver tire getting light as it teeters when you grab reverse. We both made it up no bubbles no troubles. It was an awesome run to end this years Northwest Fest with, and definitely leaves me wanting more.

My goal this year was to just wheel. Looking back now, we covered some serious ground, and logged some seat time. Big thanks to everyone who came out this year. I really enjoyed everyone's company.

Also, thanks to the BOD for making this happen. I know just how much effort goes into doing so. I'd call it a success, and all we can do is make NWF14 even bigger and better.

Awesome write up (as per usual) Dustin.
Thanks for taking point much of the weekend, and for all the great pics.
Big thanks for the kind words as well.....I'm glad everything came together as planned.
I'm already looking forward to next year!

great write up dustin and we had a great time, even with my drive line issues. it will be repaired this week and i will make spares as well. cant wait for next year and if we can make it work may even shoot up there again before the end of the summer and check out all the cool trails you talk about. thanks again for inviting us josh and aaron we had a great time. :clap:

I am very disappointed in myself for missing yet another great run. But while you guys were having a ton of fun, I did chip away at my project at a pretty rapid rate.

Soon now I hope.

Back