• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ becomes a project

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
The XJ officially became a project today, The goal for this is to have a pissed off XJ that is still able to take the girls to the beach for Sunday surfing and beach runs.
Plans are First stage – hoping to have this done by mid may

1) Chop the rear and dove tail the rear - I want to take about 3 inches from each side. Then cut down the bottom half of the rear hatch and blend it into the rear to close in the rear, sort of like the guys that have put MJ tailgates on the rear.
2) Take the top half and blend that into the roofline and C pillars – I may take a second hatch and put the whole thing in here but kind of want to leave this mostly open
3) Plate the frame rails
4) Boat side up to the bottom door seals – I want to incorporate HDPE in the sides framed in with 2x2
5) Cage work – not exactly sure what this is going to look like, I am thinking basic internal cage.
6) Hydro assist

Second stage of this build
1) 14bolt rear 60 front
2) Trim to fit 38’s to 40’
3) 4 link the rear
4) 3 link the front
5) Coilovers on all 4 corners
6) Raise the gas tank
7) 4.6 Stroker

A little history

I bought this used and stock several years ago as a weekend off-roader and daily driver, it stopped being a DD about 8 month go. Started gathering parts for the “project” build along with hours and hours of research to decide what I wanted to do with it next.
Through the years
Just after I bought it
1043.jpg

31’s and locked F/R
leftfront.jpg

33’ and Rear D44 rear, TNT Ylinks, locked and geared
100B1190.jpg

As it sat this morning
35’s 44’s front and rear, Teralow kit.
IMG_5989.jpg

The cut- and instantly wondered if I was going the right directions.
IMG_7955.jpg

IMG_7953.jpg

That’s it for today.. hopefully get some more work done on Tuesday.

Man, I wish I had the balls! I've been wanting to do EXACTLY what you explained for a long time! The body on mine is beat up more than yours and I still can't make my self bring out the sawzall!!! UGH! I even TRIED to bash mine today while I was wheelin!

Wow, yet another goes under the knife. :)
Good luck, it is a lot of work and those are some pretty ambitious 2nd stage goals!

It took quite a bit for me to make the first cut on it, my wife kept asking me why I want to “junk it up” I just look at her and smile

The project is pretty ambitious as it stands, If I get 50% of what I am planning done in the calendar year I will be happy.

I am taking a lot of my ideas from Bills build yours turned out really clean and well built. (taking ideas from the rear hatch mold in, some of the cage work, front hoops, Exhaust routing and rear cross member (BTW RCman I saw you broke the rear upper link mount but didn’t catch what you did to fix it I will need to hit you up a couple of times when the time comes)

It took quite a bit for me to make the first cut on it
Haha, I know that feeling!
(BTW RCman I saw you broke the rear upper link mount but didn’t catch what you did to fix it I will need to hit you up a couple of times when the time comes)
I did, 2nd trip out. It was because I didn't have enough bracing on it and the metal fatigued and tore. I was trying to get it done and neglected to add some support to the upper frame side mounts. The issue has long since been fixed with a bunch more steel. The entire underside was plated and two additional gussets were added. Definitely not anywhere now. I really don't have a rear crossmember, the lowers tie in similar to the uppers and the B-Pillar X drops down onto the top of them.

Shot of the now fixed/supported uppers:
UpperLinkMount.jpg

Wow, another one gets abbused by the sawzall!

Updates,

Not as much done today as I would have liked with crappy weather this morning.. But it gave me a chance to pick up these....

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

39.5's anyone. Scored a set of 39.5 Pitbull Rockers for almost nothing.. 2 are about 50% and two are pretty worn but I couldn't pass them up.. I will try and pick up some 17" wheels this weekend and mount them.. I will need to stretch the rear axle back about 4" and open up the wheel well and push the front out about 2" and remove the two "humps" in the front of the fender to use them offroad. that means relocating the Battery in the rear as well.

I did get the rear hatch to fit pretty well and where I want it. I really tried to get it as far forward as I could so I can still come through the floor with the Coilovers. which I hope should be here next week..

IMG_8100.jpg

IMG_8101.jpg

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8102.jpg

Next is the tailgate and order some Tube.

More to come tomorrow.

thats one sweet looking rig man

The Dovetail is being rethought and I am trying to determine if the amount of work is worth the clearance, the main reason I wanted to bring it in about 3 inches on each side was that I always seemed to hit the rear. She was a fat biatch.. Now that it's slimed down a bit I think I can leave it and just add some additional protection..

Those Wide arse tires are also being reconsidered.. I don't have 1tons built are even found yet and I won’t run these on the axles I have now so they are on the chopping block. (Damn impulse buys)

Progress is cool!!! :thumbup:

The Dovetail is being rethought and I am trying to determine if the amount of work is worth the clearance, the main reason I wanted to bring it in about 3 inches on each side was that I always seemed to hit the rear.

I say you do the dovetail. With the roof/hatch gone back there, is should be easier since theres less to narrow. Section some of the floor out in the trunk outside the framerails and pull the sides in. Im a fan of tucked rears, either full-bodied or chopped.

Theres a few rear examples in HERE, and my personal favorite HERE.

Back