NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee > ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004) Technical forum for the classic ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees.

Old May 14th, 2019, 13:32
Jeepoholic

Project Potimus

Thanks for checking out my new build thread! Originally I was going to call it Smokey 2.0, but due to a really unfortunate event I decided to name it as a tribute to my furry four legged best friend that was tragically lost right before starting it. His nickname was Potimus.

Onward and upward to what I am building. While I love the XJ platform it just wasn't big enough for what I wanted. After my last XJ being filled with gear, 2 dogs and the wife I was tapped out on space. We added the little peanut to our family and there was no way I was getting all the junk in the XJ. Ideally, this is going to be our camping/overland/road trip vehicle. I've always loved the WJ's just never found myself in one until now. Enter the 04 Columbia edition with the 4.7HO. I picked it up at Copart for $500 and knew it needed a new engine (which I wanted). It was a 2 owner car and overall pretty clean with the exception of needing a new bumper.

It did not have the factory Columbia seats anymore, but the covers are decent
Mods; 3" IRO lift, ADDCO rear sway bar, 4.7HO with bored fastman TB, AFE intake and Superchip tuner, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" Kolak exhaust
Old May 14th, 2019, 13:32
Jeepoholic

Re: Project Potimus

First order of business was addressing the engine. I had my engine guy rebuild the 4.7HO. It had spun a bearing and was toast. While he was at it I added in a fastman bored 68mm TB and AFE intake and a bunch of other "maintenance" items

(forgot a pic but it's a engine.....)

Also I went ahead and ditched the silly 247 t case in there in favor of the 242HD. By doing so I get 2wd vs all time 4wd. Also I get to add in a lunchbox to the rear. Freshed up the 5454rfe with new fluid and a filter.
Mods; 3" IRO lift, ADDCO rear sway bar, 4.7HO with bored fastman TB, AFE intake and Superchip tuner, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" Kolak exhaust
Old May 14th, 2019, 13:39
Jeepoholic

Next was freshening up the underside. I am going to be running a 3" IRO lift along with Bilstiens 5100's, extended sway bar links, ADDCO rear sway bar and some other things.

Go figure the coil buckets were toast.....waiting on my IRO replacement kit to finish up the front

I also replaced all the control arms, here's the rear. That a arm was a bitch to get out. Ended up having to cut the upper ball joint off as it had seized to the a arm.

Replaced all the brakes; calipers, rotors, pads and lines.
Old May 14th, 2019, 13:41
Jeepoholic

This brings me to current. Next weekend will add in some more pics and hopefully have it road worthy. Will still have some other items to button up but I'm stoked!

Things still to do.....
-Finish up the front end (rear is done but forgot a pic)
-Replace coil buckets
-Add in Aussie to the rear D44
-Get the 3" exhaust in
-Wire up the traildash
-Wire the stereo
-Get the rubber on running 265/75/16

Last edited by smokeyyank; May 14th, 2019 at 13:48.
Old May 14th, 2019, 14:12
Regular Joe

Nice! I was wondering when you would start a build thread.

I've never seen a coil bucket rust like that. Crazy! We had a 02 Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7. That was a good motor for that heavy truck. It was 4x4 and get 18 mpg on trips.

I'm planning something very similar for the ZJ. A little lift and the right parts in the right places. Keep up the good work.
Old May 14th, 2019, 18:47
NAXJA Member

Nice! Odd the seats were swapped, I thought the Columbia seats were pretty decent. Rest of the body looks clean and rust free aside from the coil buckets. I picked up an 02 overland for the woman for the same 500. I forget how much fancier the wj is over all.

Does that one have the actual ho heads? I wonder if the throttle body opens it up much.
Old May 14th, 2019, 19:12
Jeepoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificEd View Post
Nice! I was wondering when you would start a build thread.

I've never seen a coil bucket rust like that. Crazy! We had a 02 Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7. That was a good motor for that heavy truck. It was 4x4 and get 18 mpg on trips.

I'm planning something very similar for the ZJ. A little lift and the right parts in the right places. Keep up the good work.
Yeah, I'm in this weird spot on moving so haven't had the time to do a lot or the space. It spent a few years in IL but most of it's life in CO. I know they buckets are prone to issues but didn't know it was that bad until I removed the spring and the isolator took the bucket with. It should be nice when I get it all done. If I can get 18mpg I'd be happy. Luckily my new commute is less than 5 miles round trip so not too worried about MPG more SPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Nice! Odd the seats were swapped, I thought the Columbia seats were pretty decent. Rest of the body looks clean and rust free aside from the coil buckets. I picked up an 02 overland for the woman for the same 500. I forget how much fancier the wj is over all.

Does that one have the actual ho heads? I wonder if the throttle body opens it up much.
I was thrown off because I know the Columbia's had the special seats but someone threw on the Classic seat covers. All in all it's pretty clean. Few little rust spots here and there but not as bad as somethings I've worked on. Yep, legit HO. I can only compare it to the 4.0 WJ I've been driving and lets be honest that motor has no business in a full size suv. Thing is a turd. So far all its done is a romp up 285 and I was up past 80 in no time. Im sure once I get the exhaust and run the tune it will move. Originally I was looking for an overland but dual climate control and the wood inlays turned me off. This is a nice balance of the laredo features with Overland drivetrain. It's also got a 44hd but no varilock.
Old May 15th, 2019, 05:47
Regular Joe

I see in your signature you use Kolak for some parts. I've used him before when I bought my Bilstein shocks. Is that who you used for your control arms?
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:39
Jeepoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificEd View Post
I see in your signature you use Kolak for some parts. I've used him before when I bought my Bilstein shocks. Is that who you used for your control arms?
Yep, cool guy, super knowledgeable and good prices. I got all Crown control arms from him. That's who he recommends. Originally I bought MOOGs but since they have changed a lot of the manufacturing process their WJ arms are junk.
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:39
Jeepoholic

Well got more done on the WJ this weekend. Still can't drive it because of more stupid things happening. My dad wasn't paying attention when were compressing a side to put a spring in and ruined one of the new SS brakelines. Love the man but he has been fning up more things from just not paying attention and it's driving me batshit crazy. Here it is at least sitting at ride height

Old May 20th, 2019, 09:45
Jeepoholic

Fixed the coil buckets. Used the IRO kit. Worked well and didn't take to long to weld it all in.

Here's cleaning up the old area. had to grind down the old bucket as much as possible

Welded the new buckets together. This is the first project I've actually welded on. I've messed a round a little in the past but not actually throwing beads down. Some beads came out really good others looked like, well.... $h!t

Still learning but I totally dig welding. Need to figure out why I got some splatter

New bucket mounted ready to burn in

new bucket with coil and isolators in.
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:47
Jeepoholic

Got the front all put together minus the ruined brakeline

Old May 20th, 2019, 09:52
Jeepoholic

Here's the wheels and tires I'm running. Wheels are from mammoth. Took some searching to find, but they only market them for JK's. I love them. Think they are a good looking wheels and don't have a huge offset but enough to give it a little more of an agressive stance compared to just JK takeoff's. Tires are the Falken Wildpeaks AT3's I got LT tires all around. Heavy but I like them.

Old May 20th, 2019, 09:57
Jeepoholic

Last thing I got done was the new exhaust. Running a Kolak 3" with a flowmaster super 50 and magnaflow resonator. I did get it finished but it was took dark for my craptastic camera to get a good pic. Sounds awesome! Along with the intake work thing just rumbles.

Burning in some more welds.

Intake is a beast
Old May 20th, 2019, 20:46
NAXJA Member

We're you welding outside? Even a gentle breeze can blow your shielding gas away and give you porosity. Others aren't too bad tho. Mig spatter is pretty normal I'd say.