• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 shims?

so today i was taking apart my dana 44 i just got (it had an aussie locker and 4:88 gears..im installing my detroit into it) and once i finally got the carrier out there were no shims and there was a ring of sealant next to where the bearings and races (did i spell that right?) were....im am confused and dont know what to make of this can anyone help?

Last edited:
"ring of sealant"

Is this a front or rear? The front has seals where you are talking about to keep the gear oil in the diff. The shims are sandwiched between the bearing and the carrier onto which the bearing is pressed, so you won't find shims until you pull the bearings off. Everything sounds normal if it's a front.

I don't recall the rear having seals at the diff because the outter axle bearings are lubricated by the gear oil. Got pics? Sealant? Like RTV or Silicone?

ccflexj said:
so today i was taking apart my dana 44 i just got (it had an aussie locker and 4:88 gears..im installing my detroit into it) and once i finally got the carrier out there were no shims and there was a ring of sealant next to where the bearings and races (did i spell that right?) were....im am confused and dont know what to make of this can anyone help?

if you are talking abou this part circled by red

diff%20paint.JPG

then youia re Ok mine had the same thing
its just some RTV in there when the tubes are pressed in to prevent leakage

the shims are between the bearings and the carrier..
you will have to remove the bearings measure the thickness of the shims and use that as a guideline for your install..

basically yoiu are gonna have to do a backlash check , a gear pattern..
you could get lucky and beable to use the same thickness on both sides and everything will be just fine..
BUT I highly doubt it..
good luck

yoiu might have to change your pinion depth and adjust backlash..
and ya better not ruin the shims on the carrier upon removal

ccflexj said:
thanks that helps alot..wish me luck

You shouldn't have to change pinion depth. Measure backlash before you remove the gearset (too late for that). Match that with the new Detroit and you'll be golden.

Back