• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock bracket mounting?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 8.8 I'm working on for my XJ... I am working on the shock mounts right now and I have a couple questions about how/where to mount them.

On the stock axle, one shock is mounted in front and one in behind the axle... should I stick with that same configuration or can I put both shocks behind the axle? What are the pros/cons to each setup?

Also, I have seen some shock mounts (like the JKS one and the factory mount) that have the bolt coming straight out (perpendicular) to the axle tube, and other shock mounting brackets that run the bolt parallel to the axle. What are the pros/cons to each setup? I have some tabs already that would put the bolt parallel to the axle, but I got them for free so I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't use them...

Thanks!
Mark

Because of the mounting location of the top of the passenger side shock you will have to have the lower mount in front of the axle. Unless you relocate it. I shortended the stock XJ mounts and welded them in.
IM000708.jpg

Thanks! I never actually looked at the top of the mounts yet... doh! (my bad)

Anyone care to comment on the parallel/perpendicular mounting on the axle end?

You should keep some kind of shearing action. Keep the stud perpendicular to the axle.

Thanks! I never actually looked at the top of the mounts yet... doh! (my bad)

Anyone care to comment on the parallel/perpendicular mounting on the axle end?

perpendicular, parallel would cause the bushing to bind because the axle needs rotate/pivot when one side is in uptravel and the other side droops.

Back