• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nail in the tire, searched...

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a small nail in one of my Revo's with less than 20K on them. Looked at the papers, but did not find a road hazard warranty. What are my options?
Thanks in advance.

Alienspecimen said:
I have a small nail in one of my Revo's with less than 20K on them. Looked at the papers, but did not find a road hazard warranty. What are my options?
Thanks in advance.
Go to the auto zone or where ever and but a tire plugging kit. It will come with a reamer, some tire plugs, and an inserter. Just pull the nail out, ream the hole, and insert the plug. The kit should come with instructions though...

I just did one saturday, had a 3" stainless drywall screw in the tread. Took it to my friends shop, dismounted it, used an air grinder to rough up the inside surface, wiped it down with glue, stuck a patch on it [looks like a 5" wide thumbtack only rubber with a rubber stick on it encased in metal], pulled it thru, rollered it down on the backside, remounted the tire, inflated, set it to 40psi, stuck it on the balancing machine and balanced it, took me about 15 min.
If you use a plug like suggested above, take a drill bit in a drill and drill the hole out, you want to break any belts that go thru the hole otherwise they can rebound, puncture and let air out. This is my third in two summer, $#$% contractors, ought to be a legal requirement to clean any loose pointy things off the work truck before leaving the job site..

If the nail is reasonably straight, not jagged and large, and goes straight through the belt, go for the plug. It's easy and safe. However, if the nail went through at a shallow angle, it may cause belt damage or tread separation, so use judgment. If it went through at an angle or crookedly, it's also possible to wander out of the original hole when you're reaming it out for the plug, and end up creating a second right next to it (been there, done that, expensive mistake).

RichP said:
This is my third in two summer, $#$% contractors, ought to be a legal requirement to clean any loose pointy things off the work truck before leaving the job site..

I only wish...

MY drywall screw, when the Jeep was just a pup, was likely MY OWN from all the remodeling we did around the house.... went into the SIDEWALL at a hallow angle. No choice but to buy a new tire (a matching Wrangler RT/S, which I'd already grown to *hate*... which pissed me off more...)

The good part? I discovered the screw hanging out the side of the tire. Still had air in it until I loosened the screw....... so I screwed it back in, and drove to the garage to get it fixed!! Well, replaced. :(

Den

Back