• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ NSS Temporary Bypass

tnjeff

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked at all (well, most all) of the NSS threads and I'm pretty sure that's the problem on my 96. Backup lights work, won't start in neutral, most of the time starts ok, but when it doesn't, wiggling the shifter while holding the key on will start it. Started up fine a few minutes ago with no wiggling of the lever. It's not throwing any codes. I am going to order a new one from RockAuto. I don't have any place or time to clean mine.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to bypass it on my 96 in case I need to. It looks there are two plugs coming out of the insulation on the passenger side at the rear of the engine. One has 4 wires and one has 6 wires. In another thread it mentioned splicing the Black and Black/White wires. On mine, those are located in the plug that has the 4 wires. My Haynes manual doesn't even show it. So I guess I'm asking which wires should I be looking for on a 96. Thanks.

It's an automatic. Should have mentioned that. I have seen threads on bypassing the nss but I`m not sure if the information will work for the 96 xj. Not sure if I`m looking for a plug with four wires or six, and which two wires I need to join.

i just stuck a wire in the negative side for the starter rely and then grounded it to the battery. it will get you were you need to go but just be careful not to start your jeep in drive or reverse

Back