• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor bypass

phxZ31

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic (4.0L RWD automatic)

The AC compressor started making a lot of noise recently. Makes more noise when AC is OFF, but still makes quite bearing noise when the entire compressor turns and AC is ON.

I'm worried that the compressor will seize before I have an opportunity to replace it and thereby leave my stranded somewhere when it goes.. So my question is, does anybody know if its possible to remove the compressor pulley and bypass the compressor with a shorter serpentine belt and some clever belt-rerouting?

I looked at it and can't find any obvious way to accomplish this, however I figured I'd ask incase somebody else figured something out.

Either install a good used compressor or a by-pass pulley.

I don't know if the Dorman 34237 - A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley, works on a RHD XJ.

Either install a good used compressor or a by-pass pulley.

I don't know if the Dorman 34237 - A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley, works on a RHD XJ.

He said RWD, not RHD. So, I would guess its 2WD, not RHD.

Installed a by-pass pulley on my 98 (4WD), serpentine works just same as when installed with the compressor.

Take care when pulling the compressor bolts, these can break off when over tightened and/or badly rusted.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1363384&parttype=10329

A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley

DORMAN Part # 34237

DODGE DAKOTA (1996 - 2002)
JEEP CHEROKEE (1996 - 2000)
JEEP WRANGLER (1997 - 1999)

Last edited:
DORMAN Part # XXXXX

DODGE DAKOTA (1996 - 2002)
JEEP CHEROKEE (1996 - 2000)
JEEP WRANGLER (1997 - 1999)

This part is utter garbage, Ive bought 2 brand new dormans that had more play in the bearing than the old ones...

Buy at your own risk... I wouldnt recommend them for anything but an emergency spare.

This part is utter garbage, Ive bought 2 brand new dormans that had more play in the bearing than the old ones...

Buy at your own risk... I wouldnt recommend them for anything but an emergency spare.

You're right, doesn't appear to be the same quality as the compressor clutch and pulley, along with more play when the serpentine isn't tightened. The Dorman also uses a plastic pulley vs a metal one.

However since the Dorman is being used as a by-pass pulley, it doesn't require the same quality as a pulley that's being used to engaged and disengaged a compressor with a clutch. A compressor pulley requires additional quality and strength as you're placing additional pressure from the compressor into the pulley then onto the serpentine belt. A by-pass pulley doesn't require the same sort of quality and tightness (the serpentine belt is keeps the pulley in-line and tightened). However if you're getting play once it's installed with the serpentine belt tightened, then something must be wrong with your by-pass pulley?

Perhaps he can try rebuilding his alternator's pulley by removing the clutch and installing a new bearing. Or the bearing may be ok. Sometime only the clutch rusts up and makes noise without the AC being engaged. You should be able to remove the clutch and use the compressor as a bypass pulley. Or find a JY compressor with a good bearing.

The Dorman has worked without any problems so far. I have another compressor with a good bearing that can be installed in case the by-pass fails. The by-passed was installed mainly because I don't use AC and needed the additional space for other equipment.

Last edited:
I don't know, the pulley has worked without any problems so far. This is part that's suppose work as well and last at least as long as a new compressor pulley. I go off-road many miles from parts or service. A failed pulley completely disables the XJ. I always carry a spare serpentine belt. Perhaps I need carry a spare by-pass pulley or re-install the A/C compressor as a by-pass pulley?

I think an OE idler pulley going to run around ~$150.00 for the bracket, pulley, bushing and bolt.

Last edited:
Back